About to buy a strat copy to mod...

rxbanditos

• Members

1. What brands of copies do you guys recommend?

2. What upgrades do you recommend?

I know I'm prolly gonna have to change the:

-Strings

-Pickups

-Nut

-Pots/Switches

-Tuners

I've also heard about these modboards that you can put into guitars. I heard about one that offers infinite/tons of sustain?

I basically wanna get a strat so I can learn to mod guitars and maybe get a nice guitar for rock/shoe gaze/surf type music :)

• Members

Pretty much, in the $200 - $250 range, I'd suggest a used MIM.

For $150 - $200, I'd suggest an 80s Japanese Squier.

For $100 - $150, I'd suggest a 1989 Korean Squier.

Less than that, I'd get whatever is the right color and has your preferred neck profile.

• Members

My current favorite cheapos are the SX seris. I just picked up a used hss sx strat w/floyd for $100 delivered. The neck on this thing is great... and I just wound my own pickups for it. It sounds freekin' incredible... and did I mention the neck?

IMO, the NECK must be good for the guitar to worth messing with, and among the cheapies, the sx's have the best necks.

The stock nuts/tuners/pots/pickups/etc... were NOT good on the SX's I own, but fixin' that stuff is the fun part!

• Members

Check out xaviere guitars from guitar fetish...I've never owned a strat style guitar but I will soon have a xaviere xv-870...most likely the darkside edition

:thu: Only 1 problem. It doesn't need any mods except for saddle replacements maybe.

• Members

Just be sure standerd fender aftermaket parts will fit the platform. Many cheep squier bodies are to thin for fender bridge blocks.

That's why I would pick a classic vibe. Easy to get nice harware for it. Great body wood and nice necks.

Archived