WOT - Almost bought the farm today

Woody_in_MN

• Members

A couple people have said it is better to just move over. I felt no obligation to do this - but since a couple member have posted this advice I hope next time I will do this. Better plan.

- w

I think it is even better to simply ignore them (if you are in the right lane, if you are in the fast lane, then get the hell out of the way). If you pull over it just encourages them to do this {censored} more often. Flip your mirror up, or just ignore them till they pass by. When they get that you are ignoring them, they will figure another way around.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Long ago I used to drive a special order Z-28 with no speed limiter and different differential and other crap on it, was supposed to be able to hit 160, (never quite proved that one ). I would to piss off this local Dr who drove one of the M series BMWs by passing him on the way to work- he would try to speed up to keep me from getting by, but he couldn't outrun me - I knew I shouldn't do it, but I couldn't help myself. After about 2 months the little ass showed up in a porsche turbo. Nothing bad ever happened, but I was just lucky considering I was "passing" him at over 100 mph. Yes I know this is bad, wrong,irresponsible, illegal, etc, etc. Thats why I don't do it any more. We all have lapses in judgment. Glad to hear you are Ok. Take your second chance and be good.

• Members

Glad you're OK Woody, and also glad that you learned a valuable lesson from this experience - that road rage isn't worth it. I have a 54 mile round trip work commute. Most of it's on freeways. I usually drive in the center or left lane, and while I'll speed up to clear vehicles in the lane to my right, before I move over. If I have the room, I move over, and let Mr. or Ms. Racecar Driver, and anybody else tagging along behind them, go past me. They can take their chances with the cops for traveling at excessive speed, or bad weather related driving conditions.

• Members

What were you planning to do if you caught him?

I hope you don't have anything of value because if you would have hurt or killed some innocent person while chasing him it would be on your conscience but you would also probably get sued.

If you caught him and kicked his ass you would probably have been in trouble too.

I let others have road rage. You seem like a smart guy - take this as a warning.

Glad you're ok.

Best thing I've ever heard BG76 say (aside from some Larry Conklin stuff).

Tailgaters? Couple quick taps on the brakes, just to light the lights, usually does the trick; it's quite amusing to watch 'em back off. If that doesn't work, then I just change lanes and let 'em by. It's their funeral they're racing towards.

Very glad you suffered minimal bodily harm.

Expired HCEG forumites make us all feel terrible (HCAF, not so much).

:) JK!! JK!!

• Members

When someone behaves in away I can't understand on the road I wish that: Cars all had a kind of phone system fitted which allows you to directly speak to the imbescile in the other car.
I'm sure it would actually do more harm than good but I'm always facinated to hear how they can defend their actions and it would be nice to tell them to stick a (^&*&&%$ up their *(&%*&^$$5 *(&^%$$ with a (*%

• Members

That attitude just plain sucks.
The applied road rules are for slower traffic to use the right lane and for faster traffic to use the "passing" lane, which is the left lane. There's nothing worse than a driver in the passing lane moving slower than the right lane traffic. It really jams traffic up more and creates more chance for increased risk of accidents.

Now if you are moving at a faster rate than the right lane of traffic, that's not an issue. But if someone is trying to get by you, once you pass other traffic on the right, you should slide over to let others by you then slide back in to again to pass others on the right. It's just common courtesy, which many people in this world have forgotten all about. Pretty much, everyone only thinks of themselves and their own "selfishness these days. And that's a bunch of {censored} that the good folks in this world have to put up with.

So because I dont let some tailgating jerk bully me into moving out of his way my attitude sucks? I drive in the fast lane because I like to drive at the limit, unlike everyone else on the road, and is some ass wants to push me aside into slower traffic cause hes driving dangerously then he can get stuffed. How is caving in to inconsiderate people being discourteous?

• Members
You never know when you are going to mess with the wrong road rager. Best to just flip your mirror up so that you don't see 'em and let them figure it out.

:facepalm: I hope you're not serious. Safety trumps the speed limit - every time. Flipping your mirror up and continuing to do something that you already know is ticking the other driver off is just as bad as brake-checking them.

If you're in the left lane and getting tailgated, the answer is simple: Move over and let the other car go by. Legally, you're not supposed to be in the left lane unless you are actively passing other cars. This is true regardless of how fast you are going relative to the speed limit. If you are blocking the left lane and there happens to be an unmarked cop behind you (even two or three cars back), you'll find out in a hurry that you can be ticketed.

OTOH, if you're in the right lane and getting tailgated when going the speed limit or more, just ignore 'em and make sure you're leaving adequate following distance in front of you. It's reasonable to slow down when there's a gap in traffic so that the car behind can get around you.

One last point: unless you have recently had your speedometer calibration checked, you might not actually be going the speed limit - even if you think you are. Most factory calibrations intentionally read a hair faster than your actual speed, and any time that you change tires it is likely that your speedo reading will change. I know, for example, that my wife's speedo reads about 3-4 mph high; if she's riding along at an indicated 65, she's actually only going 61, so someone behind her with an accurate speedo won't be very happy if she decides to block the road at 4 mph less than the speed limit.

Just let 'em go by. If they really are going too fast, let the cops take care of it.

• Members

The left lane is for passing and faster moving traffic. If you use it that way, you'll have a smoother, more enjoyable driving experience.

It's been said a dozen times before, but I'll add to it. If I'm doing 80 in the left lane and see someone coming up quick behind me, I move over and let them pass. It doesn't matter to me if they're in a hurry for a good reason (maybe trying to get to a hospital when a relative was dying - I've been in that position before) or not. Me getting in their way = dangerous for me, and me being an asshole.

Chasing after someone is also pretty damn stupid. These days, you could wind up catching a bullet. Some folks think they can beat someone up and teach them a lesson, and others wouldn't think twice about shooting them or running them over.

Be safe out there, the world is a crazy place.

• Members

So because I dont let some tailgating jerk bully me into moving out of his way my attitude sucks? I drive in the fast lane because I like to drive at the limit, unlike everyone else on the road, and is some ass wants to push me aside into slower traffic cause hes driving dangerously then he can get stuffed. How is caving in to inconsiderate people being discourteous?

That's the attitude of a victim, in search of an incident.

• Members

That attitude just plain sucks. The applied road rules are for slower traffic to use the right lane and for faster traffic to use the "passing" lane, which is the left lane. There's nothing worse than a driver in the passing lane moving slower than the right lane traffic. It really jams traffic up more and creates more chance for increased risk of accidents.

That about sums it up!

Nothing worse than having to pass some asshat on the right because he didn't pay attention in drivers ED.

Archived