WOT - Almost bought the farm today

Woody_in_MN

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That being said, I have to attest to the waving thing, it pisses off tailgaters. Better to wave and feel smug than crash your car
:)

even better is just move over, let them past and ignore them.
Some people will react badly to a smug wave.

No one you know is going to think less of you for being sensible.

Don't let crap in your life when you don't have to.

• Members

So I'm driving into work today. A guy in a BMW SUV is tail gatting me. The posted speed is 60, and I'm staying with traffic at about 70 MPH. I don't move over, and I don't slow down. I just keep driving. The guys finally passes me and as he paseas me gives me an obscene gesture. So I think "WTF" and start chasing him. (Bad idea.) After about 1/4 mile I'm right behind him. He slams on his brakes at 70 mph! I turn quickly to avoid him, and end up hitting the highway guard rails at around 70 MPH. My car spins around, and I end up engine dead blocking one lane of traffic in morning rush hour.

Long story short. I'm OK. I got a cut under one fingernail. I have insurance. The worst that could happend is my insurance rates go up for a while. It could have been much, much worse. I could have hit another car, and hurt other people, or hurt myself.

Anyway, just learn from my experience and leave that road-rage {censored} alone. It is just not worth it. There are plenty of dickheads on the road, but you are not going to change any of them by trying to roll the dice with them, or trying to confront them.

Gratefully yours,

- Woody

glad you're ok woody... gotta watch that road rage man:cop:

• Members

A couple people have said it is better to just move over. I felt no obligation to do this - but since a couple member have posted this advice I hope next time I will do this. Better plan.

I used to be quite an angry person when I was younger. I think I have mellowed a lot, but obviosly when I drive I can still have some "issues'. I really hope that this lesson stays with me, and you know, I think it will. Just dealing with the traffic, and towing, and highway patrol, etc. was unpleasant enough. I have to say there was a good samaritan, a kid of about 25 that stopped and stayed wth me until the tow truck came. A genuine good guy.

Thanks for the kind notes. I know I was in the wrong, and feel grateful to be sitting here typing this.

BTW - Lamb Chop is fine, and was happy to see me get home.

LAMBCHOP.JPG

- w

• Members

Must have been something in the air today.

I had not one, but two young females pull out in front of me today.

One failed to yield and pulled out in front of me on a 50 mph highway where I (and everyone else) does about 55. She was coming out from a coffee hut. Not much on the road pisses me off more than some dumb bitch or bastard that has time to pull off for a latte' and then is in too much of a f'n hurry to properly yield the right-a-way for oncoming traffic. Then they often take their sweet ass time gettng up to road speed since they don't want milk froth dribble running down their chins. :mad: But for some reason, on that particular road, a lot of drivers think that as long as they can be straightened out on the lane before you get there, they are okay and the oncoming driver just needs to slam on the brakes. :rolleyes: So I slammed on my horn. I never do that.

And then on I-5 (a four lane Interstate section) I had a young woman jump from the right lane right in front of my car, missing me by maybe 2 feet tops and she never looked. Just jumped over. And we were surrounded by semi's when she pulled that stunt. So once again, I shoved my horn up her ass.

Now I hate jerks that use their horn to simply say "F-you" (as I did), so I'll usually go years without ever doing that (I think horns should be used for warnings not for insults), but today these two really needed a bitching out. For what they did to my hypertension alone, they could have killed me. Damn near gave me a stroke.

But yeah, I agree with you. I've sucked in on very similar incidents like you've described but luckily none of them ever turned out that horribly.

But for the most part, I've told myself to try to bypass the road raging. One day my light bulb came on and I realized that there are people in jail for aggravated assault, with or without deadly weapons, armed robbers, gang members, etc. And most of them get out of jail at some time or another and drive on the roads. And you never know if the person you end up playing Road Warrior with might fit one of those descriptions. Someone who truly doesn't give a f@#k and is willing to do the dance the entire distance.

So sorry to hear of your mishap.

• Members

Glad to hear you're ok. :thu: Stuff can happen so freaking fast that afterwards you barely know what happened.

How's the hearing? I was in a fender bender over the Christmas break and the air bag went off right in my ear. I was seriously worried about my hearing since it caused horrible tinnitus for a couple of days. Those things are LOUD

• Members

On your nest car I would install paint guns in your grill and on your back bumper, wire em up to a joystick trigger, so the next time you can just tag the sucker for the ass hole he is. Plus it would be fun too! You learned a very valuable lesson today.... So go write a song about it!

• Members

It would have been funny if when you crashed the dude got out of his car and put a couple slugs into your head.

I'm glad that didn't happen but people are nuts these days so it's best to not sweat the small stuff.

Everyone gets pissed when driving, but it's better to just let it go.

Glad you're ok. We would hate to see a brother not be posting in here!

Exactly. Don't be too hard on yourself. Righteous anger can be the most dangerous kind of anger because it feels so good. But as with any anger, as someone else mentioned, it mostly hurts yourself. You got off with a warning. By posting here, it sounds like you know that. Blessings to you and your family.

• Members

It would have been funny if when you crashed the dude got out of his car and put a couple slugs into your head.

WTF? If you're trying to be funny, you failed massively. If not, you're a dick... :poke:

Woody -- glad you're OK.

• Members
Glad to hear you're ok.
:thu:
Stuff can happen so freaking fast that afterwards you barely know what happened.

How's the hearing? I was in a fender bender over the Christmas break and the air bag went off right in my ear. I was seriously worried about my hearing since it caused horrible tinnitus for a couple of days. Those things are LOUD

Hearing is fine. The bags went off on the PASSENGER side. That was the side that hit the guard rails.

- w

• Members

WTF? If you're trying to be funny, you failed massively. If not, you're a dick... :poke:

Woody -- glad you're OK.

did you read the rest of the post where I said I was glad that didn't happen?

Road rage is only awesome in Grand Theft Auto

• Members

Glad you're ok. Seems like you learned from your experience, too, and that's also good.

You never know who you're dealing with on the road, so it's best to just play it safe.

I have a friend who was driving after a horrible car accident (tire blowout sent the car tumbling down a HUGE hill on the highway....the car looked like it had been through a compactor after that). Anyhow, one day when she was recovered enough to be up and around, but was understandably nervous about driving, she was driving on the highway and keeping to the far right lane, driving fairly slowly. Some asshole decided to tailgate rather than taking advantage of the 3 other lanes to the left, so she finally got so scared and upset that she decided to simply pull over onto the shoulder to collect her nerves......And wouldn't you know it, the dickhead pulled over right behind her and started to approach her car on foot. Apparently, he had assumed that she was as much of an asshole as he was and was just driving conservatively to piss him off. You know, because the whole world revolved around him and everything, after all.

Well, what with being terrified by his aggressive driving and seeing him actually coming up to her car in an aggressive manner, she had that whole "fight or flight" adrenaline rush going on and went straight from terror to rage, so she got out of her car, threw her big ol' 7-11 drink in his face (cup and all), shouted many choice obscenities, all while wielding her crutches like weapons (she was still pretty banged up looking, had had to have glass cut out of her face,etc, etc), so he backed down and got back in his own car and drove away (thankfully). It was probably not the best thing to do, but I'm glad it worked out for her.

You just never know who you're dealing with on the road. It could be that the person you are tailgating has good reason to drive the way they are driving, and being an aggressive asshole isn't helping anything. It could also turn out that the person tailgating you is actually a lunatic who will gladly cause a fatal accident just to prove a point. Sometimes people don't think through their crazy ideas before acting on them, I guess. I just assume that most everyone turns into an aggressive crazy person when they get behind the wheel of a car and behave accordingly.

Archived