WOT - Almost bought the farm today

Woody_in_MN

• Members

So I'm driving into work today. A guy in a BMW SUV is tail gatting me. The posted speed is 60, and I'm staying with traffic at about 70 MPH. I don't move over, and I don't slow down. I just keep driving. The guys finally passes me and as he paseas me gives me an obscene gesture. So I think "WTF" and start chasing him. (Bad idea.) After about 1/4 mile I'm right behind him. He slams on his brakes at 70 mph! I turn quickly to avoid him, and end up hitting the highway guard rails at around 70 MPH. My car spins around, and I end up engine dead blocking one lane of traffic in morning rush hour.

Long story short. I'm OK. I got a cut under one fingernail. I have insurance. The worst that could happend is my insurance rates go up for a while. It could have been much, much worse. I could have hit another car, and hurt other people, or hurt myself.

Anyway, just learn from my experience and leave that road-rage {censored} alone. It is just not worth it. There are plenty of dickheads on the road, but you are not going to change any of them by trying to roll the dice with them, or trying to confront them.

Gratefully yours,

- Woody

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I'm driving into work today. A guy in a BMW SUV is tail gatting me. The posted speed is 60, and I'm staying with traffic at about 70 MPH. I don't move over, and I don't slow down. I just keep driving. The guys finally passes me and as he paseas me gives me an obscene gesture. So I think "WTF" and start chasing him. (Bad idea.) After about 1/4 mile I'm right behind him. He slams on his brakes at 70 mph! I turn quickly to avoid him, and end up hitting the highway guard rails at around 70 MPH. My car spins around, and I end up engine dead blocking one lane of traffic in morning rush hour.

Long story short. I'm OK. I got a cut under one fingernail. I have insurance. The worst that could happend is my insurance rates go up for a while. It coupld have been much, much worse. I could have hit another car, and hurt other people, or hurt myself.

Anyway, just learn from my experience and leave that road-rage {censored} alone. It is just not worth it. There are plenty of dickheads on the road, but you are not going to change any of them by trying to roll the dice with them, or trying to confront them.

Gratefully yours,

- Woody

{censored} that:mad: I'd {censored} down his neck.

• Members

What were you planning to do if you caught him?

I hope you don't have anything of value because if you would have hurt or killed some innocent person while chasing him it would be on your conscience but you would also probably get sued.

If you caught him and kicked his ass you would probably have been in trouble too.

I let others have road rage. You seem like a smart guy - take this as a warning.

Glad you're ok.

• Members

i must say, my road rage only peeks when people are tail gaiting me. i tend to drive a bit faster than the limit, so there shouldn't be any reason for them to stick to me. to keep em distanced, i tend to slam on my breaks. i never stop the car, but just the two red lights flickering in the back scare the {censored} out of them and they stop sticking to me.

• Members

Glad you're okay bro...pride might be damaged a bit, but thank the Lord tonight for another day of life...nothing is guaranteed....

Thanks SM. Not to get all religious. But in a way I think that God had to kind of take my car, and slam it a round a bit to teach me a life lesson. I'm serious when I say that.

- w

• Members

You never know when you are going to mess with the wrong road rager. Best to just flip your mirror up so that you don't see 'em and let them figure it out.

I have one small bumper sticker on the back of my Camry that reads,

"Go F yourself,

..I drive 55"

Speeding around and being in a rush is a sure sign of poverty in ones life, and of being a slave.

I make it a point to never be in a rush.

Glad you are alright Woody.

• Members

What were you planning to do if you caught him?

I hope you don't have anything of value because if you would have hurt or killed some innocent person while chasing him it would be on your conscience but you would also probably get sued.

If you caught him and kicked his ass you would probably have been in trouble too.

I let others have road rage. You seem like a smart guy - take this as a warning.

Glad you're ok.

Well I hear you. In hind sight, I think I just wanted to get next to him to make eye contact. I sure was not going to get him to stop. I sure had no plans to hit his car or damage mine.

- w

• Members

You guys were BOTH wrong.

There was a case in california some years back where the same situation occurred with one difference.

The guy in front purposely slammed on the brakes resulting in a 3 car pile up that killed two people. They prosecuted the guy who slammed on the brakes and convicted him on two counts of manslaughter.

Dont be dumb.

• Members

I'm glad you're ok Woody!

I used to be an aggressive driver. I'd get caught up in anger and road rage. I'm completely different now. I've mellowed. I blow everything off. But, most important, I pull over and let tailgaters past immediately! For all I know, they are racing to a true emergency. Anyway, if I let them past, at least they won't rear end me. :thu:

• Members

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 23, and I've never done anything that stupid in a car, and I'm a bit of a car guy (racing an SM2 Solo2 car for a couple years in the twin cities).

I don't know if this was an option in the traffic you were in, but if you are moving slower than the traffic behind you, it is your obligation to move right, no matter how fast they're going. It's not your responsibility to keep people from speeding. That's just they way the rules of the road go.

That being said, I have to attest to the waving thing, it pisses off tailgaters. Better to wave and feel smug than crash your car :)

Archived