Any Skynyrd fans?

fuzztone

• Members

The skynrd band in the 70's that I saw on a video on youtube recently doing freebird....that one is the TRUE band I remember.

The newer one is basically a tribute band. Not bad, but not near the quality of the original band!

And of course the original singer is dead, so that also takes away from the appeal of the newer band.

• Members

The skynrd band in the 70's that I saw on a video on youtube recently doing freebird....that one is the TRUE band I remember.

[YOUTUBE]CkTQUtx818w[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]A00oSFPbDPE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]J3iOpX-cQ88[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bj92yfjCu-w[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nYFj67L0wIc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I like some of the old Skynyrd, but not so much the band that is calling itself Skynyrd today.

I LOVE the old Skynyrd, and have seen and enjoyed shows by the present Skynyrd-like tribute band...but my biggest problem is harder to explain...

I am (and shall remain) convinced that the greatest of all the southern rock bands was Blackfoot...the trio of albums on Atco in the late '70s (Strikes, Tomcattin', and Maurauder) were the best the genre ever produced...

...ever since Rickey Medlocke joined Skynyrd he has completely turned his back on his own history and doesn't really acknowledge this period of his career...instead he seems, in interviews, to be associating himslef with a period of Skynyrd history HE WASN'T A PART OF...

...this annoys me...

• Members

Yeah, I wasn't an early fan, but I sort of rediscovered them.

I think after the retro nostalgia movie "Dazed and Confused" I had "Tuesday's Gone" ingrained in my mind.

So I went back and started listening to more of their music.

These days I like to play their riffs from Simple Man, Tuesday's Gone, Sweet Home Alabama and the chord progression to Free Bird. (Haven't started tackling the solo yet)

But like with "Sweet Home Alabama", I wasn't much of a fan of that song, but I enjoy the little finger dance of pull offs it takes to get that riff sounding just right so my appreciation of it has grown. It's fun.

Princes of Southern Rock fer sher. :thu:

Archived