27-Fret Guitars

jn062181

• Members

Just wondering, which companies design 27-fret guitars, preferably ones I can get in the US without ordering from a custom shop? I know off the top of my head that Caparison and Edwards make them, and that ESP is releasing one in the near future for their LTD line.

• Members

Rand i believe was the original design, it was copied by a lot of manufacturers including Tagima, whos guitars are used by Kiko Loureiro, ESP copied Tagimas take, I still don't know why Kiko signed with ESP, probably just publicity, he hardly ever uses their guitars live.

• Members

Washburn made guitars called 'Stephens Extended Cutaways'. They even made an acoustic with 36 frets. Those were the days!

isn't this the Stephens Extended Cutaway?

washburn9of11.jpg

I always thought it was just a nifty neck joint developed by Stephen Davies for the Nuno Bettencourt guitars.

• Members

isn't this the Stephens Extended Cutaway?

I always thought it was just a nifty neck joint developed by Stephen Davies for the Nuno Bettencourt guitars.

The original Stephens Extended Cutaways came on the EC29 and EC36 from the 80s like this one:

WashburnEC29BOdySide1.jpg

• Members

HOLY CRAP!

Those upper frets are tiny! I could never play one of those with my sausage fingers...

Yeah, I just don't see the point in having more than 24 or, maybe 27. After that's it's pretty useless. Why not just get a 7-string and tune it EADGBea? That would be more useful.

There are just so many ridiculous guitars out there now...8, 9, and 10-string guitars with fanned frets. :rolleyes::facepalm:

• Members

^^it's difficult to get a thin enough string for that high A and who knows how stable something thinner than a .008 is

BUT you can get a multiscale 7 string, which means the highest string will have the shortest scale, which means it's easier to tune higher, then maybe it's possible with a regular .008

I don't have a link though, I only know of 7 strings with 25.5" on the hightest and a longer scale e.g. 27" on the lowest string, which means it's meant for a high E and a low B

• Members

yes, he has a high A AFAIK, but with a special really thin string maybe? I forgot what he said in an interview regarding this, does anyone know?

And I havent seen a multi scale with a scale shorter than 25.5.

I know one now, Rusty Cooleys custom 8 String has a shorter scale than 25.5" on the high A

Archived