What program to record with?

chimi

• Members

Ok,

So a good friend of mine gave me his copy of Cubase 5 and while i'm sure it's an amazing program being in grad school i have neither the time or the patience to figure the damn thing out. I need something a bit more straight forward.

basically just something with some drum loops and some other instruments to fill out a sound.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Ok,

So a good friend of mine gave me his copy of Cubase 5 and while i'm sure it's an amazing program being in grad school i have neither the time or the patience to figure the damn thing out. I need something a bit more straight forward.

basically just something with some drum loops and some other instruments to fill out a sound.

Any suggestions?

Cubase 5 is amazing but I don't know how it does strings and drums. I use the 'ancient' Cubase VST 5 and I just use it like a fancy tape recorder...with FANTASTIC non-destructive editing of course.

• Members

I'd definitely try Reaper. I use Logic now mostly, but have used Cubase, Cakewalk (home studio and Sonar), Traction and Pro Tools as well. Reaper is reasonably intuitive (none are completely intuitive) and you can try it out uncrippled.

I'd combine that with some sort of drum program. AudioMidi has the Steven Slate EX plug in for $20, which is a crazy deal. That will give you a bunch of great drum samples with Kontakt Player and a bunch of midi loops to add in. It isn't as easy to use as Ezdrummer, but it's much cheaper and the sounds are great.

• Members

I use an Apogee Duet and Logic Express 9. It is very intuitive and the Amp Designer isn't half bad. My only issue is the difficulty associated with learning the program itself. It is definitely geared to the experienced, as it should be -- I believe Apple would ideally want Logic to compete with the studio standard versions of ProTools. Not the LE model.

• Members

Cool thanks for the suggestions, i've used audacity before but i kinda wanted something with drums and maybe strings.

...which is why I use ORDrumBox with it... If I used strings I would record it myself. I'm sure there are string pattern simulators out there aswell that you can use in conjunction with Audacity.

ProTools is a good one, but that might be a lil too advanced haha.

• Members

I use Audacity for tracking and mixing, but lately have been playing around with garageband for keyboard and drums

I prefer Audacity - it looks and acts like a regular program - garageband feels pretty toyish and non-pro, although results can be great (for other people) - it does have good midi sounds

Audacity is pretty remarkable for a free program

Archived