hagstrom viking

infinitehalves

• Members

recently picked up a new hagstrom viking semi-hollow electric. got it all professionally set up and it sounds beautiful, as far as my minimal experience goes. great sustain, nice and open sound, and it stays tuned for days. i'm really satisfied with it.

my only [slight] concern is that the strings buzz all over the place. it doesn't really pick that up when it's plugged in, but it's pretty noticeable when i'm just playing it naturally. could that be something to do with how they laid the frets during manufacture? because the action is fine.

otherwise, i'm totally in love with it! vintage tobacco sunburst finish...lovely.

peace.

• Members

If it were really fret buzz it wouldn't have good sustain. Most electric guitars will make a rattling/buzzing sound that isn't heard when amplified. I could be wrong, but if the notes aren't fretting out or creating ghost notes, I really don't think you have a problem.

D

• Members

thanks for all the feedback.

like i said, not noticeable when amplified. and it only happens when i'm playing a little harder. i trust the guy i took it to- he runs his own shop and i'm sure it's in his best interest to do these kinds of things right the first time. but i may bring it in just to be on the safe side.

hagstrom-viking.jpg

thanks again.

peace

• Members

What gauge strings are you using?

I have one just like that. I think it came with 9's. My luthier advised that because of the tailpiece strings tend to have a sloppier feeling than, say, a stoptail, and I should try a heavier set.

I went with 12's and they tightened things up considerably. They feel more like a set of tight 10's. I was a bit reluctant to go that heavy but they feel really nice. The neck isn't that wide and sometimes I could pull the string off the side with stock strings - but not with 12's.

The thing with Hagstrom is the necks are so sweet that you can get really low action. But to make it work everything needs to be setup just right.

• Members

thanks for the info on the strings. that's definitely a possibility. i left the factory strings on, and they're pretty light. when these wear out, i'll go for a heavier set and see what that does. however, a lot of the music i play tends to be pretty sloppy anyway, hahaha... maybe i'll hold on to that buzz.

Archived