Sign in to follow this  
etienne

Room temperature and humidity for electric guitars

Hi,

What is the ideal room temperature and humidity for electric guitars ? I have finished the garage's basement and I keep the temperature around 18 degrees celsius night/day. It will increase it to 20-21 degress celsius when I will go practice.

Humidity will be around 40-50.

E-

The ideal is to keep it as consistent as possible, especially the humidity. It is the wide fluctuations that cause problems.

I think I read 40 to 50 % humidity is ideal. The humidity where I live seldom drops below 50% and is regularly around 70 so I bought a dehumidifier for my music room. Keeps it right around 50 most of the time.

I have heard that humidity isn't that big of deal with sold body electrics as long as they are finished/painted. Big fluctuations in temperature are of course a big no no.

What exactly are the consequences of big fluctuations in temperature?

Do they affect amps as well as guitars?

Well if your guitar is finished in nitro going from very cold to warm...like your case has been sitting in the car at below freezing and then you open the case in a warm room...could cause cracks in the finish.

If the guitar is poly you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Drums are pretty durable I wouldn't worry. If they are a wrapped kit then you have nothing to worry about and a finished kit will most likely be some kind of poly so they are not too finicky about variations in temp or humidity.

About 68 degrees Fahrenheit and 45% humidity.

QFT. While everyone is discussing the BODY (of electric guitars), don't forget about the NECK!!! Low humidity can dry the neck and crack/warp the fretboard. You don't want that, do you? I had a local-shop travel acoustic which had no case but kept in the closet out here in CO. In a couple years without humidity/temperature control, the soundboard started warping/caving in and the neck went funny. At the least, get an inexpensive hydrometer to track humidity, keep guitars away from direct sun/HVAC vents, and get a humidifier if the hydrometer varies too much (above 30%).