Lexicon gets busted...

Mr. Botch

• Members

http://www.lexicon.com/products/product-category.asp?cat=disc

Same Harman-Kardon company. You have to remember, Harmon's been doing this kind of stuff since the 60s. I used to laugh at their me-too consumer-audiophile stuff (in the Scott/Fischer class, if you were being charitable) -- but they proved, apparently, to be canny business people and now they own a large swathe of the prosumer music production market with a large number of companies, including many of their former betters in the consumer audiophile market (like JBL, for one).

AKG

• Members

At this moment I even feel some
respect
for Behringer!

I mean, they blatantly copy stuff, but at least they manufacture it, add some features and sell it half the price than the ripped, original product.

... this...
:facepalm:

I agree, this is really despicable. Honestly, I think I have more respect for Behringer at this point. I cannot wait to hear the spin Lexicon puts on this.

• Members
At this moment I even feel some
respect
for Behringer!

I mean, they blatantly copy stuff, but at least they manufacture it, add some features and sell it half the price than the ripped, original product.

... this...
:facepalm:

Yeah... it really gives you some perspective, huh? Behringer's less-than-saintly respect for other people's IP notwithstanding, at least they have, since the late 90s, priced their gear accordingly... Some of it might arguably be cheap rip-offs of others' ideas or products, but at least their stuff is, indeed, cheap.

• Members

This made me curious so I took apart my Lexicon LXP-1 and a little naked women jumped out of a little cake that was inside. She's cute, but way too short.

This {censored} just keeps getting weirder buy the minute. Who knows what's gonna happen next! I don

• Members

I opened up a Cadillac Escalade and found a Chevy Tahoe. Then I opened a Lincoln MKX and found a Ford Edge.

You know what's funny? Cadillac DID try this exact same trick - with the Cadillac Cimmaron. They took a Chevy Cavalier, threw on some badges and better seat covers, and tacked on a few grand to the pricetag. Didn't work out so well.

• Members

Whether or not they are identical in terns of hardware AND software/firmware can't be determined by looking at the hardware only.

I do expect this scam is at it appears.

However, imagine that lex has some advantaged , proprietary image processing algorythms/firmware that really add value by improving the picture quality.

Perhaps they invested millions to develop that.

This would not be apparent from the level of analysis presented here.

I'm Just saying that folks can sometimes jump to conclusions based on insufficient data.

OTOH who the hell would pay $3500 for such a thing???

In this case It couldn't be THAT much better.

• Members

That is a very charitable view!

In this case, though, the audioholics.com review points to performance that is no better than the Oppo box. Harman seems to hang their order of magnitude pricepoint on their THX and Lexicon badges. (but that THX badge may have gone missing)

The review also points to performance that does not appear to match the claimed THX certification. So, the other shoe to drop in this striptease is THX's. That story is still developing, and you can follow that over here.

• Members

Whether or not they are identical in terns of hardware AND software/firmware can't be determined by looking at the hardware only.

I do expect this scam is at it appears.

However, imagine that lex has some advantaged , proprietary image processing algorythms/firmware that really add value by improving the picture quality.

Perhaps they invested millions to develop that.

This would not be apparent from the level of analysis presented here.

I'm Just saying that folks can sometimes jump to conclusions based on insufficient data.

OTOH who the hell would pay $3500 for such a thing???

In this case It couldn't be THAT much better.

Audioholics took one all the way apart, even testing capacitors to make sure they hadn't been upgraded.

It's the same.

They didn't even bother uncasing the $500 Oppo -- they just built a case to go around the other case -- which is why the big, heavy Lex case has those awkward looking cut-outs on the bottom.

I've been watching Harmon-Kardon since the 60s and they've always impressed me as a kind of sleazy company.

Since they now own a large swathe of the music gear scene, cynics might suggest sleaze and deceptive practices probably helped put them there.

• Members

:D :D :D

I think we have a new contestant for best of thread...

Maybe they could try something like that for HC2.0?

Just build the new site around this BB.

And cut air holes for it. :D

(I know, I know, a big part of the whole idea was to get away from the vBulletin software, which was blamed for last fall's security breach and the apparently frequent downage.)

Archived