Anyone used the fretboard stain at Stewmac?

Hotrod Lincoln

• Members

The dye for ebony is just leather dye at an inflated price.

Look at your local home center for some Minwax stain. They sell it in little bottles and it's very good. IIRC they even make a rosewood color.

• Members

Look at your local home center for some Minwax stain. They sell it in little bottles and it's very good. IIRC they even make a rosewood color.

Have you tried this?

I almost did this. I bought minwax mahogany, but chickened out and returned it.

I have the Stew-mac stuff as well, but haven't used it.

• Members

I've used the stuff StewMac sells on several guitars...

Yes, it's just leather dye and yes, it may rub off on your fingers for a short while after its applied. Once it's cured long enough, though, that's not a problem.

Also, make sure you clean the wood VERY WELL prior to application & the stain will take very well.

I've gotten some good results :thu:

3330037489_cc8c769d58.jpg

3330873386_f5af09b25d.jpg

*note, it'll stain ANYTHING!!! notice how the fret markers are darker in the 2nd pic above. It also stained the binding, but I was able to carefully scrape it off with an X-acto blade. Notice that the binding in the 2nd pic looks whiter than the first :cop:

• Members

I'm getting ready to redo a tele that I reliced, but this time I'm going to try to get a rusted metal look on the body. I'm going to stain the neck to a fairly dark amber color and will use Minwax stain. I see no reason why it shouldn't be just as good as anything else. I think the key to minimizing it rubbing off is to rub it really well after it dries and then re-apply and rub some more, until it stops coming off and I get the look I want...as previously mentioned.

• Members

I'm getting ready to redo a tele that I reliced, but this time I'm going to try to get a rusted metal look on the body. I'm going to stain the neck to a fairly dark amber color and will use Minwax stain. I see no reason why it shouldn't be just as good as anything else. I think the key to minimizing it rubbing off is to rub it really well after it dries and then re-apply and rub some more, until it stops coming off and I get the look I want...as previously mentioned.

Please take before and after pictures.

I was going to clean my fretboard really good with Naptha before trying. Also, I was going to try using paint brushes to carefully apply the Minwax stain, but I don't think this will work with the rub-on rub-off technique.

• Members

I used the Stew-Mac dye on a pale rosewood board, and it came away looking like ebony. I used a Q-tip to apply the dye, and also (dipped in naptha) to remove dye from inlays. The results were quite good, although the sides of the fretboard had a light gloss finish (as did the neck) so the dye wouldn't take - the sides still look like rosewood.

I don't have any pics, but I would definitely do this again.

Archived