What is a safe voltage to running gear at in the UK

rustyshed

• Members

I have just purchased a Power conditioner with a digital readout and I am wondering what is the safe zone to be running music gear at in the U.K?

I know 240v is coming out of the mains supply, just wondering how much higher or lower can it fluctuate and still be ok?

Thanks in adavance

• Members

Haha Thanks Mike its not that I am worried, i had a problem a gig or two ago and 3 amps went down; well after talking on here and testing absolutely everything in the rig I could find no faults.

So I had to put it down to bad power, picked up a new conditioner with digital reading now so I just want to know what to look out for.

• Members

Line frequency is very important. Running gear designed for 60hz at 50hz is not good.

HEY BRO

Good point. Fortunately most modern electronics will run the mains through a rectifier that can handle both frequencies. But you should always check to make sure this is the case!

And just for reference, the EU voltage standard is 230V +10% -6% at 50hz.

In the UK you're more than likely going to get 240V, but if you want to be extra safe, you should be able to tolerate that whole range of voltages.

• CMS Author

Good point. Fortunately most modern electronics will run the mains through a rectifier that can handle both frequencies.

Actually, it's the transformers that work less efficiently at 50 Hz than 60 Hz, and a marginally designed linear power supply might not get as good filtering at 50 Hz than at 60 Hz. But it's easier with switching power supplies. As long as there's enough juice to get it started the part that does the work runs at several kHz (and creates EMI which requires proper shielding.

• Members

Actually, it's the transformers that work less efficiently at 50 Hz than 60 Hz, and a marginally designed linear power supply might not get as good filtering at 50 Hz than at 60 Hz. But it's easier with switching power supplies. As long as there's enough juice to get it started the part that does the work runs at several kHz (and creates EMI which requires proper shielding.

HEY BRO

All true, but even if your transformer works less efficiently at 50Hz, you're probably going to have to live with it. Good inverters are bloody expensive :wave:

As for switching power supplies, the decent ones are usually designed to work with just about any power source you can throw at them. Very convenient.

I did get a bit sad when they stopped including the voltage switch on computer PSUs though. No more *bang* when you set the switch to 120 and plug it into 240 mains :cry:

EDIT: Actually that mess about the transformers isn't totally true. Assuming your device runs on DC, you can always get a made-in-the-UK wall wart with the same voltage/current rating designed to work at 50Hz. Then you just have to worry about matching the barrel plugs :facepalm:

Archived