p90 with alnico polepieces?

Saturday

• Members

lindy fralin is making those. apparently they sound more "open" "clean" and more "jazzmaster-like". i have gfs mean90 on my SG but i would prefer more treble and a less compressed sound. this sounds ideal. anyone tried them? or any suggestions?

• Members

I don't know the details of how any of them are made, but just using my ears... I used to have a set of Mean 90s in an all mahogany PRS SE and now have a set of BG Pure 90s (HB-sized) in an all mahogany LTD Viper and the BGs definitely have more treble and sound more open. I think I might slightly prefer the Mean 90 in the bridge position (I've only done very minor tweaking on the heights so that might change), but in the neck position and the bridge+neck position, the BGs absolutely sound better to my ears. The Mean 90 neck always had too much of a solid bass presence maybe. No matter how I adjusted the pickup or the amp, it always sounded like there was too much bottom end and generally, I like quite a bit of bottom end.

Loved the bridge Mean 90 though.

:idk:

• Members

I just bought an 08' SG Classic and it came with Fralin P-90s, the ones with the alnico pole pieces. Man, they are so articulate. They also do not hum much at all. I would not characterize them as being on the treble end though. They actually sound a little darker through my Fender amp. I have to crank the treble up more to balance the tone out. It's a little darker of an amp anyway. But through my Crate VC 30 with EL84s, they sound more well rounded. They give off amazing cleans running both pickups in the middle position.

• Members

what i'm trying to achieve is the most single coil-ish sound possible for my SG.

maybe i just need to slam a strat/tele pickup there and call it a day.

there was some sort of small plasti cover that was humbucker sized but let you put a single coil there, anyone remember it?

Archived