Intonation issue

mkchoiboy

• Members

I just got my Gibson LP standard setup. Intonation is good at the 0 fret, 12 fret and 12 fret harmonic but but what if the notes is out of tune on the 3rd or other frets?

How do you fix this issue? Is it suppose to be perfect when I get it back or are there some notes that are just a bit flat or sharp and that's how it is

• Members

Gibsons are really, REALLY bad about this. It isn't so much that it isn't setup properly, but it has more to do (purely my opinion here) with how tight that beast is and how small the scale is. If you play with a heavy fretting hand it's going to be just the littlest bit sharp almost all the time. If you are sloppy (like me) when you are fretting then you are just pulling that sucker sharp. I know that near the nut that I get worse.

The only thing that I could suggest would be to try to set the intonation using the fretting at the 12th method, skip the harmonic and fret it a little heavy or at least close to how you play. It may sound a bit off if you play it like a little girl, but that should help to compensate a bit for it.

• Members

How is your nut? Are the string slots too high? If you can slip anything fatter than a business card between the first fret and the string when you have that string pushed down at the 3rd fret you may need your nut massaged. (Not that one, the one on your guitar!) Check each string this way. Get a nut job done if you get bad results. May not make your guitar any better, but you'll have a smile on your face.:poke::lol: BTW I do my own nuts. Have since I was about 12.

Archived