Lil 59' not cutting it in Telecaster!

rocknhard

• Members

The Lil 59 is 17K?

Must be the weakest magnets ever if it's wound to 17K.

:lol:

It's not my favorite pickup clean... just kinda lacking compared to the best full size HBs but I've had two of them and I can always get great gain tones out of them... low gain to metal.

I will say that I sold one pickup and I sold one guitar with the pickup installed (both strats, but very similar tone) so like I said, not my favorite, but VERY usable.

I installed both of them and left the stock switch and pots so 250k pots.

• Members

Thanks guys - I do find it interesting that the majority of responders have been generally under-whelmed, I guess I expected so much more from it...seems to have no "soul" to me.

So..., anything close to the standard neck PuP, but a little more beef..?

Thanks!

• Members

I put one in a tele I used to own, and I thought it was a little weak sounding. It was ballsier than the stock pickup though. Overall I wasn't too keen on it, thought it was a little on the bright and thin side.

I always thought that's how teles were supposed to sound, until I came here and started reading about how fat teles are???

• Members

I love mine, actually.

My only beef is that lately it has been squealing on me at band volume with moderate amounts of distortion. It never used to do that, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

I have mine wired with a 250k pots, so that might keep the harshness at bay.

I do agree with one of the previous posts, it's a little hot to match well with a regular tele neck pup. I had Bryan wind me a special one to match the output, so that's not a problem anymore.

• Members

What value pots do you have??? If that's not the problem, you may want to try turning down the volume knob a bit. Unless you have a treble bleed, that should cut the high frequency and thus the harshness.

• Members

I put a Little 59 in the bridge of my Tele Thinline and I like it. I mostly use it for high gain leads and it sounds great for that. I wired mine with a push-pull for series/parallel, however I mostly use it in series for a warmer, fatter sound. My Tele came stock with 1 meg pots, which were way too bright, so I switched them for 250k. I was going to go with 500k, but tech support at Duncan recommended 250k.

Archived