A thoughtful discussion on outdated guitar designs?

Kind of Blued

• Members

I'm a tinkerer by nature. I've recently begun noticing numerous design features which simply do not make logical sense. I've also begun considering building a guitar completely from scratch. Some designs make economic sense, but from a performance standpoint, they're lacking. I'd like to see if we can discuss any other designs which are sub-par given today's technology.

Some I've toiled over:

Pickups with polepieces: If you're only using one TYPE of magnet, why not just use one magnet to avoid misaligned strings, and dropouts on bends? I just bought one of DiMarzio's brightest single coils to find that it's dark as hell because the high E rests between two polepieces. :facepalm:

Dual volume knobs: Unless one refuses to use pedals or dual channel amps, dual volume knobs don't make a lot of sense. Even when using a single-channel amp, a middle pickup position dictates itself according to how you set each pickup individually. This makes a guitar with only three pickup combos even less useful.

Frets/Intonation: As far as I can tell, the current guitar design makes it physically impossible to get a guitar in tune. :mad:

Bolt-ons with vibratos and straight headstocks, and set necks with angled headstocks and fixed bridges:

The main advantage to the bolt-on (excluding cost) is that the neck is easy to replace should it be damaged. Ironically, Strats and Teles have one-piece necks (pretty much) with straight headstocks which are nigh IMPOSSIBLE to break. This causes the need for string trees which are hell for guitars with non-locking vibratos. Suprise, suprise, STRATS.

Meanwhile, set necks, which are a pain in the ass to repair, have angled headstocks, no tremolo, and break all the time. :confused:

Anyway, I hope somebody can get into this as it interests me a lot.

• Members

My question is are there any brands that have embraced these issues as more than just a matter of tradition or conventional design, and instead redesigned their guitars to better reflect technological advancements and what not.

• Members

Unless one refuses to use pedals or dual channel amps

I do. I like having them on my Gibson style guitars.

Valid point on the tuning issue. Can't really comment on the other stuff. In general, you're probably right overall, but the market doesn't want what you propose, so it doesn't happen.

• Members

I'm a tinkerer by nature. I've recently begun noticing numerous design features which simply do not make logical sense. I've also begun considering building a guitar completely from scratch. Some designs make economic sense, but from a performance standpoint, they're lacking. I'd like to see if we can discuss any other designs which are sub-par given today's technology.

Some I've toiled over:

Pickups with polepieces
: If you're only using one TYPE of magnet, why not just use one magnet to avoid misaligned strings, and dropouts on bends? I just bought one of DiMarzio's brightest single coils to find that it's dark as hell because the high E rests between two polepieces.
:facepalm:

Dual volume knobs
: Unless one refuses to use pedals or dual channel amps, dual volume knobs don't make a lot of sense. Even when using a single-channel amp, a middle pickup position dictates itself according to how you set each pickup individually. This makes a guitar with only three pickup combos even less useful.

Frets/Intonation
: As far as I can tell, the current guitar design makes it physically impossible to get a guitar in tune.
:mad:

Bolt-ons with vibratos and straight headstocks, and set necks with angled headstocks and fixed bridges:

The main advantage to the bolt-on (excluding cost) is that the neck is easy to replace should it be damaged. Ironically, Strats and Teles have one-piece necks (pretty much) with straight headstocks which are nigh IMPOSSIBLE to break. This causes the need for string trees which are hell for guitars with non-locking vibratos. Suprise, suprise, STRATS.

Meanwhile, set necks, which are a pain in the ass to repair, have angled headstocks, no tremolo, and break all the time.
:confused:

Anyway, I hope somebody can get into this as it interests me a lot.

There sure has been a lot of phenomenal music made with these flawed instruments. I think if people were unable to make the type of music they want with their current gear, that would drive innovation. This has happened a lot in the past, but the changes have brought with them their own issues. Take the Floyd Rose tremolo as an example; it increased tuning stability for guitarists who use the whammy bar extensively, but it made string changing much more complicated. The intonation issue has been addressed by the True Temperament fret system, but good luck finding someone who re-fret your instrument if you ever needed it. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether the current designs are "good enough," and the majority of the guitar-playing community have answered with a resounding "yes."

• Members

Dual volume knobs
: Unless one refuses to use pedals or dual channel amps, dual volume knobs don't make a lot of sense. Even when using a single-channel amp, a middle pickup position dictates itself according to how you set each pickup individually. This makes a guitar with only three pickup combos even less useful.

Maybe I'm missing what you are getting at here, but take two volume knobs on a two humbucker guitar (like a 335). Having two volume knobs is VERY useful in the middle position because you can mix in the two different proportions to taste. For instance, in that middle position, I prefer having slightly more of the treble pickup dialed in than the neck pickup.

Also, when I was playing in a big band, the two volumes was very useful. I'd comp on the neck with the volume back. I'd leave the bridge volume on full. Say we were playing a blues tone, I could move right to the bridge position and get boosted over the top of the band just with the flick of a switch.

• Members

My question is are there any brands that have embraced these issues as more than just a matter of tradition or conventional design, and instead redesigned their guitars to better reflect technological advancements and what not.

This seems to solve everything except the intonation issue.

steinberger_white_1.jpg

And this should take care of the intonation problem.

tru-temper-frets-300x275.gif

I'll stick with my Strats and LPs though.

• Members

Staggered locking tuners have eliminated the need for string trees on a straight headstock...

My 1980 Washburn Falcon has a neck-thru-body, and angled headstock, but it is a 5-piece laminated neck, all the way through the headstock, so it is super strong... (I have tested it over the years)

Trem-King Tremolo actually stays in tune unlike a vintage strat trem which is {censored}...

My Dimarzio Twang King single coil pickups align perfectly on the strings...

My intonation is plenty close enough, and Earvana might even make it better, without using one of those crazy new fretboards...

You can wire up pickups dozens of different ways... I also don't use two volume controls...

I am making all of my own guitars these days...

• Members

Well? Could you post some pics?

:)

IMG_4555.jpg

I posted this old growth redwood build on this forum... I have several more in the works, and will make my first neck on the next one... The neck here is a Warmoth...

I added a couple toggles to put the 2 pickups in series and neck out of phase...

The bridge is a Babicz Full Contact, and I used a brass string ferrule block for string thru back... lots of sustain...

Sperzal locking tuners... notice, no string trees...

So, not trying to hijack this thread, just showing an example of making what I want that is not available off the shelf...:blah::blah::blah:

• Members

Happy to see that no one is giving the OP total crap at least. HCEG must be one of the few places where such a post doesn't always start an instant flame war.

Intreresting points in the OP, even if I'm not sure that they're all correct. The intonation/fret issue is the one that interests me the most, I'm really dying to try out a TT fretboard some day, but they are more expensive than a royal piece of ass on a sunday.

As some have pointed out though, changes in guitar design are, sadly, not dictated by logic but by demand. People don't mind technically flawed instruments; at least they care less about subtle clever innovation that solves problems they don't understand or know about, than they care about "playing a guitar that looks like the one X plays" or similar.

That aside, I agree on a personal level that logical design would be something positive, and I'm not just talking about flashy stuff like Variax or the Gibson Robot Guitar.

• Members

This seems to solve everything except the intonation issue.

steinberger_white_1.jpg

And this should take care of the intonation problem.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

More "headless" goodies here:

http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/

The only problem with most of your ergonomic guitars is that they resemble Alien technology and the frighten away the ladies.

So lonely...

• Members

yeah thats not derivitive of anything...lol just kidding looks geat

IMG_4555.jpg

I posted this old growth redwood build on this forum... I have several more in the works, and will make my first neck on the next one... The neck here is a Warmoth...

I added a couple toggles to put the 2 pickups in series and neck out of phase...

The bridge is a Babicz Full Contact, and I used a brass string ferrule block for string thru back... lots of sustain...

Sperzal locking tuners... notice, no string trees...

So, not trying to hijack this thread, just showing an example of making what I want that is not available off the shelf...
:blah:

• Members

Has no-one mentioned Buzz Feiten?

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/

I had this on 2 Washburns and it works a treat.

Buying a Washburn would probably be the way to go cos they work out pretty expensive as a retro fit.

The stuff you want is out there, but most people aren't interested.
:idk:

I mentioned Earvana, which is available to the public, while the BF system is proprietary... I will say that a good friend had the BF mod done to his old SG, and he swears by it...

• Members

Has no-one mentioned Buzz Feiten?

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/

I had this on 2 Washburns and it works a treat.

Buying a Washburn would probably be the way to go cos they work out pretty expensive as a retro fit.

The stuff you want is out there, but most people aren't interested.
:idk:

I am going to have to check that out some more... there is actually a place in my city that does that according to the website!

• Members

I like the dual volume/tone controls on my guitars...gives the ability to mix pup tones in the middle position.

That's actually one of the most criminally overlooked aspects of the traditional Gibson dual-pickup design. A lot of smart LP guitarists, such as Jimmy Page, Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa, slap the selector switch in the middle position and use the volume controls to blend in their pickups (Bonamassa even revealed in a Guitar Player interview that his sound comes from the bridge volume on 75% and the neck on 25%).

David Grissom requested dual volumes on his signature PRS because he watched a Led Zeppelin DVD and noticed how many tones Jimmy Page was getting just by manipulating his tone and volume controls.

Archived