Dead fret problem on Schecter

SlaveNewWorld0

• Members

Now then. My action is currently set to 2mm at 12th (no capo) and it plays beautifully all over the neck, apart from one spot - D string at the 17th. If I attempt a vibrato or small bend, the note dies instantly. Without bending it just sounds obstructed.

It's been like this since I bought it 5 years ago and I've never hit "that spot" enough for it to bother me too much. I've tried raising my action to 3mm+ which pretty much solves it but it bugs me not being able to play a 2mm action just because of that one bloody spot!

The luthier I took it to recently checked the fret levelling when he set it up and all seemed ok. Don't want to pay out for fret work when there's no actual diagnosis.

Any opinions will be read with interest!

• Members

Most likely a low 17th fret or a high 18th fret near the middle of the fretboard. You can use a fret rocker to determine if this is the problem or not. The straight edge of a credit card will work as a makeshift rocker...

watch?v=Jt0P4U5XYx8

Interesting, thanks. And thanks McCain.

I tried the credit card (cut an old one so it spanned 3 frets) and no "rocking" as far as I could tell. I will take it in this saturday but not sure what else can be done. It's been setup minus any fret work, but is there any point in doing any fret work if the frets are level?

Is 2mm a realistic height to expect for any guitar or is it hit and miss?

• Members

I aim for 2mm as a ballpark figure......sometimes I can then take it a bit lower-sometimes not-It seems a very comfortable height but higher than some websites (like Fender) suggest?....I don't know about you but I can't accurately read 64ths of an inch on my steel rule anyway!!

I recently chased down a buzzy fret using a credit-card as a 'rocker' too....I was able to fix it with a few swipes of my 'junior Miss' nail-file kit!! :cop:

As others suggest it sounds like a lack of 'fall-away' in your case?

Depends how much it bothers you up there at the 17th!

Archived