I'm back from NAMM and I'm raffling a Swan for Haiti

Jim_Soloway

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry for the recent absence. I was out of the country with no internet access for the last 9 days and apparently I did something very stupid that trashed my e-mail while I was gone.

A quick update for everyone ... There was an brief issue with PayPal and I know that at least a few entries were refused by their system. I submitted my documentation to PayPal just before I left. They reviewed the documentation and restored the active status of the account. So if you were one of the few that was blocked from entering, feel free to try again now.

Here's where we now stand ... I'm going to close this up a week from today. I did a quick accounting last night. We're over $7,000. These things always slow down towards the end, but I'd like to see if we can get this up over $8000. So if anyone's been waiting to get in, now's the time.

• Members

I'm in!

Thanks for refreshing this page. I almost forgot to do this before the deadline. Even though I've made a RedCross donation already, it will still do my soul some good to do it again. Who knows, I might actually get lucky.

• Members

Thanks for refreshing this page. I almost forgot to do this before the deadline. Even though I've made a RedCross donation already, it will still do my soul some good to do it again. Who knows, I might actually get lucky.

Glad I could help. I'm surprised that this page hasn't gotten that much attention. Times are tough though, but this is a good cause and a chance to win a very nice guitar.

• Members

Do we have all day Wednesday to enter? Wednesday is payday for me.

Yes. It will stay open until the end of the day. I'll also wit a couple days after that for checks to arrive by snail mail. Hopefully people will continue to make some donations direct to Mercy Corps (and other agencies) after the raffle closes.

• Members

He did say he was going to wait a couple extra days to let the promised snail-mail checks arrive.

I did indeed. I've spent most of the morning trying to figure it. Once I accounted for the mess that PayPal made when they were giving me a hard time, it was actually a bit less than I had been estimating, but the net after PayPal fees and the cost of shipping the guitar appears to be about $7200. (My earlier overestimate was caused by a reversed entry in the PayPal account for about $660 that I didn't realize had been reversed. As a result, it got double counted in my rough estimates).

I spoke with Mercy Corps yesterday and told them that I'd be making the donation early next week when all of the payments have cleared. I'll also be delivering all of the PayPal reports to my accountant for certification. (Given the hassles with PayPal, I think that's probably a good idea and he's agreed to donate the time as his contribution).

My plan for the drawing is to create a numbered master list of the entries and a corresponding slip for every entry. I'll give both the list and the slips to someone (probably the folks at Mercy Corps) and they can pick the winner.

I'll announce the winner early next week. I'd also like to remind everyone that even though the raffle is close, the problems have not gone away and there are still lots of ways that we can all help.

Archived