Neck experts, how do I deal with back bow?

Sheraton

• Members

I picked up an early 80's Ibanez Musician Series CN200 in parts. Georgeous guitar. In putting it together I've discoverd that the neck is seriously back bowed. The truss rod seems to be functional but tightening it makes the neck more back bowed, not straighter. I know this sounds a little stupid and simplistic, but, could the truss rod be in backwards?

Seriously, any tips on how to fix this?

• Members

I'm dealing with that now on a cheap tele copy (a Indiana Tell City). I loosened the truss rod so it didn;t apply any pressure to the neck, then tuned it to pitch and let it sit for 24hours. Little change.

So I've got it tuned to G standard right now and have seen some improvement in the last 12 hours. It's currently in the back of my car in the parking lot sitting in 30 degree temps.

If it's not better by this evening (or tomorrow), I'm going to remove the neck, clamp it up with some wood blocks so it has a bit of relief and heat with a hair dryer. If that doesn;t work, I'll probably just replace the neck...but you may want to investigate what meandi is doing in the Les Paul restoration thread, as he's dealing with it in a more profound way.

My tele was $50, so I'm only really willing to go so far...

• Members
I'm dealing with that now on a cheap tele copy (a Indiana Tell City). I loosened the truss rod so it didn;t apply any pressure to the neck, then tuned it to pitch and let it sit for 24hours. Little change.

Sometimes it takes weeks for a neck to go back to where it should be. After all it probably took years for it to back-bow. Like you said loosen the truss rod. And then put on some heavier gauge strings. Then tune up to pitch and play it that way for a month or longer. These things take time sometimes.

• Members

Sometimes it takes weeks for a neck to go back to where it should be. After all it probably took years for it to back-bow. Like you said loosen the truss rod. And then put on some heavier gauge strings. Then tune up to pitch and play it that way for a month or longer. These things take time sometimes.

and this.

Then just be patient. Don't use force or hairdryers or give up easily.

Archived