If its good enough for eddie Van Halen, why isnt it for me?

cylon

• Members

Ive narrowed my next two guitars down to a vh super strat or an ebmm axis.

The axis binding digs into my forearm and the strats neck heel digs into my palm on the upper notes.

Both drive me crazy, no guitar is going to be perfect and yet these are the only two i want.

• Members

Stop worshipping Van Halen, Hes not god and your not his clone either. Youve allready realized whats comfortable for him isnt comfortable for you. So instead of deciding to think what works for him should be what works for you. Start being a real person instead of a clone thinker. Go with whats comfortable to you and what lets you create your own ideal for you voice. Instead of just trying to copy his if thats what your doing.

Jackson, Ibanez, BC Rich, are excellent guitars as others have noted. Schecter and ESP Ltd could also be worth a look and try.

• Members

For a long time I wanted a Jaguar because Kurt Cobain played one sometimes, until I got a Jaguar.

Now I play a Les Paul and a Mesa Boogie. I'm a total indie kid and this rig pretty much breaks all the rules for my genre. But my guitar is comfortable and sounds great through my amp.

I own a Mustang and would love to own a Jazzmaster one day, but I know these guitars will never serve my main purpose or suit my physique/style as well as a Les Paul.

Try something different, you might just find your thing.

• Members

Or try one of these...not my pics... but I have the same guitar...

socal021.jpg

socal011.jpg

I also have an Axis Super Sport which I love... That is my favorite neck of any guitar I own.

I love the color of the guitar, I hope Charvel comes out with a H/S/S with the pickguard soon.

• Members

too bad the truss rod adjustments in the heel of those charvels wtf its 2010 already.

I wasnt trying to be a clone just why the hell am i so nitpicky about the whole thing. Kinda deters from just having a cool ass guitar and playin your ass off.

• Members

Stop worshipping Van Halen, Hes not god and your not his clone either. Youve allready realized whats comfortable for him isnt comfortable for you. So instead of deciding to think what works for him should be what works for you. Start being a real person instead of a clone thinker. Go with whats comfortable to you and what lets you create your own ideal for you voice. Instead of just trying to copy his if thats what your doing.

I agree with that^^^^

Besides...when Eddie Van Halen was breaking new ground and playing with fire/hunger/determination, he was using a parts guitar that he threw together without much prior knowledge. Those instruments that he used later in his career facilitated his lethargy.

• Members

I wasnt trying to be a clone just why the hell am i so nitpicky about the whole thing. Kinda deters from just having a cool ass guitar and playin your ass off.

You sound just like me. It's just the way it is.

Have you looked at Carvins?

Maybe the ST300 with a maple neck and Floyd would work for you. I know it would for me but I'm poor. :mad:

• Members

The axis binding digs into my forearm and the strats neck heel digs into my palm on the upper notes.

Both drive me crazy, no guitar is going to be perfect and yet these are the only two i want.

:idea:You could buy an OLP MM4 and sand a nice strat style angle into the body.

• Members

Jackson, Ibanez, BC Rich, are excellent guitars as others have noted. Schecter and ESP Ltd could also be worth a look and try.

the only advice you need right there :thu:

• Members

socal021.jpg

socal011.jpg

I also have an Axis Super Sport which I love... That is my favorite neck of any guitar I own.

Same here - the neck on the Axis SS is the best - period.

• Members

socal021.jpg

socal011.jpg

Damn... I'm starting to GAS for one of those Charvels. Not sure if I like the bodys, but something about the necks on those things just calls to me... I wish I could find one local to try out.

OP, I know what you mean about the edge digging into your arm. When I play my LP for any amount of time I wear a wrist band.

• Members

Why dont you look at an EBMM Petrucci? The neck heel is carved, theres a nice forearm route, really nice trem with a piezo option, nice colors, the whole schmear. Or do your own Warmoth or Carvin. Dozens of options. Hunt around..........do some research.

• Members

That is the ONE issue about the AXIS that bugs me. I LOVE mine. But, yeah, when I'm sitting down, doodling on it, I notice my arm starts to hurt if I rest it on the top.

• Members

For a long time I wanted a Jaguar because Kurt Cobain played one sometimes, until I got a Jaguar.

Now I play a Les Paul and a Mesa Boogie. I'm a total indie kid and this rig pretty much breaks all the rules for my genre. But my guitar is comfortable and sounds great through my amp.

I own a Mustang and would love to own a Jazzmaster one day, but I know these guitars will never serve my main purpose or suit my physique/style as well as a Les Paul.

Try something different, you might just find your thing.

Funny, I went in to the store thinking I wanted a PRS and left with a Jaguar. As you said, you've gotta find what works for you.

Archived