I will now make the case for STOCK Epiphone DOT Studio pickups...

dcooper830

• Members

Not really feeling that. It's like a nice tone with the amp under a bunch of blankets. It's not bad in your room but it would never cut through in a band. You'd just get lost.

You may not have listened to the whole clip. And I don't blame you cause it's really long.......

But around 3:30 or so when I kick in the high gain, it's a massive crunch that will cut through a mix like a freight train.

• Members

Im a broken record here but I love the factory pups in my Dot Studio. They are very dark and moody without a super bright high end. Perfect for surf guitar and noise. Did I mention that I never replaced the bottom string, lol. Its perfect with 5 strings!

• Members

In my experience, the uncovered pups on the Dot Studios sound a lot less muddy than the covered ones on the standard Dots. FOr that reason alone, I like the Studio Dots best. Even tho not really a fan of black hardware. I do like the no inlay fretboard. The Dot Studio finishes are not the greatest, but I can live with em.

• Members

I haven't listened to your video yet (at work) but my own personal experience tells me otherwise. When I was shopping for 335s about a year ago I spent about an hour A/Bing a sheraton II and a 335. Both had good setups and were nicely made. But they sounded very different. I won't bother to get into te subjective good or bad thing, but the Gibson was much fuller and also had more bite - just alot more frequency range coming out of the 57 classics.

The epis are fine and in a vacuum nobody would be complaining. But in stock form next to some better 335 types...you might realize some new pickups are in order. FWIW I ended up getting a heritage instead of either.

• Members

The second I put some Tonerider Rocksongs in my Dot it was obvious just how poor the stock ones ,Gibson designed Alnico Classics, are .I even noticed how good they sounded stringing the guitar (it was plugged in ),I am sure it would be even more noticable ,or maybe not,with more expensive pickups .night and day

• Members

I just got a Epi LP Mahogany Standard (the "worn" one) that has the Alnico Classic covered pups, and I think they sound stellar for stock pickups. The ones in the Dot Studios are the same but uncovered IIRC, and I think, like dcoop that they sound great as well :thu:

Archived