I'm in an unusual position for a third guitar

EllenGtrGrl

• Members

Well, my 7-string, and my Fender bases have been covered. I've been thinking of a third (and final - any more guitars than that, and I'll wind up with dust collectors) guitar. Originally, I had been thinking of one in the cheap thrills category. I still don't want to spend a bundle, but as of last night (and I confirmed it this morning by checking my bank account online, before I left for work), I got back WAY MORE, for a federal income tax refund, than I expected (according to the IRS website, I made some errors on my income tax return, that actually reduced my refund, they corrected the refund amount). Instead of $600, I got back $990!! Now I don't want to blow the whole amount on Guitar #3 (especially since it will be second fiddle to my Jaguar, and my 7-string), but I have a couple of nicer ones I've been thinking about getting off and on over the years - they just haven't been at the top of my list. I'd like to bounce some ideas off of you guys:

PRS SE Korina One - I tried out an SE One a couple of years ago, and I liked its simple design. It sounded good too. I've always found single pickup guitars to be liberating, in that they take away distractions like: "gee, should I try this pickup, or tone knob setting, to tweak my sound?", and make you focus on just playing. The one downer - I have yet to hear a single demo of this guitar.

front.jpg

PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow Soapbar - I like P90s, and the PRS SE Soapbars I've tried, sounded and played pretty good. So did the SE Custom Semi-Hollows with humbuckers. I've always been interested in trying out a P90 version of the SE Custom Semi-Hollow. But, I've never seen them around here, and have yet to hear a clip of how they sound like. Still P90s are cool, and I LOVE semi-hollows.

550170.jpg

Agile Intrepid 8-string - this is more of a gamble for me. I've tried out a few 8-strings, and they were fun to play. But, whether or not I'd get enough use out of it, to justify having it is unknown to me. It could go either way, with me deciding I like 8-strings more than my 7-string, or with the 8-string being a dust collector.

intrepidpro8ocean1.jpg

The usual suspects: another Gretsch, or a Fender Esquire.

Oh yeah, and Danos are cool too.

Let me know, what your thoughts are. Thanks. :)

• Members

OK. This is not really on your list, but my two suggestions are:

1) Hagstrom Unltra Swede. I absolutely love mine. The coil tap gives more versatility. The quality is over the top IMHO. Smallish body - blues-hawky.

2) Washburn Idol. I am liking the Wi64 more, and more, and actually the body shape fits me better than the Hagstrom. There are many different flavors, and prices for the Idols. You probably know this but J&R blows them out fairly regularly. They have a white WI45 with black hardware for $349. Not as good a deal as when they were $280, but worth considering.

Have fun.

- W

• Members

OK guys how about one of these:

2002 Gibson Melody Maker

!BngnV+QBWk~$(KGrHqEH-EEEtreV8RbVBLjvb2N

1965 Gibson Melody Maker

!BnCM9cQ!2k~$(KGrHqIOKj!EtkzYfWD5BLh2FsM

Current Melody Maker model

612312.jpg

I almost pulled the trigger on a Melody Maker a couiple of years ago.

Also, I've found Danos to be fun guitars. In keeping with the "less is more theme" a Dano U1

!BhDz31g!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DwEsMLu09G1BLHi,h7

• Members

Good point. My only concern - 95% of the time, I don't use the neck pickup. I'm not into the blooz tone. Still, I wouldn't mind another semi-hollow.

Hey Ellen -- I recently played both of those PRSs you are looking at and I really liked the semi-hollow a lot. I even liked the SE One, but seemed a little limiting to me. I played the semi-hollow through an Orange RV100 at the store and it sounded fantastic!

You might want to look for one of those P90 Dan Armstrongs I posted in the other thread a couple of days ago. One went for $200 on evilbay just two days ago. If you are hellbent on a one pup guitar, then you could go here (and then tell me later how kick ass it is lol)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-AMG100CH-Dan-Armstrong-Mahogany-Body-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ330410157030QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4cedfae3e6

ampamg100c.jpg

• Members

I'd go with the PRS SE Korina One. Sometimes you just wanna rock out, and that would fill the bill nicely. Haven't played many of the SE line, but every one I have played has been excellent value. Plus korina is just cool.

• Members

Ellen, I recently bought an SE SInglecut and I have to say, I am really, really impressed. The fit and finish is unbelievably good. The sound goes from sort of chimmey to fairly gritty. It's not dark like an LP, so I don't think you'll get into the blues thing much with it and the playability is outrageous for the price. I was worried about the fat wide neck, but I have to tell you, I'm sold! The semi-hollow looks very appealing.

Mine:

P1010055.jpg

• Members

Man, this is such a weird position for me. I can't remember the last time I've been in this position. Since this is more of a "guitar for different sounds" thing for me, my selection is wider. I've also realized that, I liked the Eastwood Coronado I had, and wouldn't mind another Eastwood. In that regards, I'm in luck. There's a local shop (Wade's Guitar Shop), that is an Eastwood, Rickenbacker, and Danelectro dealership. I bought my old Eastwood from them. I'm thinking of making a run there after work today (I'll have to make sure I get out of here at a decnet time for a change, since they close at 5 PM on Fridays). They also have tons of cool used guitars - for example, this little honey:

PS1_blk.jpg

It's an ESP Xtone Paramount. Last year, the guy from Earth, Wind, and Fire's touring band, unloaded one at Wade's Guiitar Shop. I tried it out and it sounded like a million bucks. The only think I was iffy about was the looks. But in retrospect, it sounded fantastic doing both smooth jazzy tones, and uber crushing tones. Wade's has another one.

Wow! Decisions, decisions. I plan on approaching this with a completely open mind, unlike my typical guitar buying decisions, where I have a VERY definite idea about what I'm going to get, give or take 2 or 3 choices for the guitar. As was mentioned in another thread, maybe I'll let the guitar choose me (kind of like what often happens when people adopt pets from animal shelters).

• Members

Since this is more of a "guitar for different sounds" thing for me, my selection is wider.

Still say you should check out a lap steel, they are a ton of fun. Something like this 50's closet classic Gibson for $300 would rock! And so you know, most of those have the old school original P90's in them.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=178952

6310_IMG_1398_1.jpg

• Members

Hey Ellen, if you're interested in going the P90 route (and I think that's a road you should take as the proud owner of a Godin LG), I would also encourage you to save a few more pennies and perhaps consider the Gibson LP Jr. I had one of these back in the mid-70s, and it was a rude, loud, obnoxious noisemaker. Much fun!!!!

• Members

I like double cut bodies. On the other hand, the current MM w/ single coil has a unique, very piercing quality. I had one, really liked it but my wandering eyes betrrayed me, and I sold it. Dano are fun too. IMHO the Dano DC is about the coolest thing I have ever seen. Retro and modern at the same time.

- w

• Members

I really like the idea of a semi-hollow with soapbars, so I would go with that of your choices, but what I would actually get is a Variax. I think it makes a great third or fourth guitar, filling in all the holes in your arsenal that you would never use enough to buy - electric and acoustic 12 strings, Ric, Gretsch, dobro, sitar, banjo, etc, as well as having a guitar ready with multiple alternate tunings available quickly.

• Members

Hey Ellen -- I recently played both of those PRSs you are looking at and I really liked the semi-hollow a lot. I even liked the SE One, but seemed a little limiting to me. I played the semi-hollow through an Orange RV100 at the store and it sounded fantastic!

You might want to look for one of those P90 Dan Armstrongs I posted in the other thread a couple of days ago. One went for $200 on evilbay just two days ago. If you are hellbent on a one pup guitar, then you could go here (and then tell me later how kick ass it is lol)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-AMG100CH-Dan-Armstrong-Mahogany-Body-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ330410157030QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4cedfae3e6

ampamg100c.jpg

this this this :love:

Archived