Volume Pot/Soldering problem

Hoodoo

• Members

Hey guy's,

I have a MIM Tele and I'm switching out the 250K volume pot for a 500K. I've done it a million times in countless guitars but I've never seen this problem.

-The gun won't heat the solder hot enough to remove any of the connections in the Tele? I know the gun is working, i've replaced the tip, it's able to melt my tin solder just fine. But the solder holding all the connections on the Tele won't melt, not even a little! Do I need a "hotter" gun?

I'm sure it's a stupid question, so any help would be great.

thanks

• Members

Tin the tip of the iron, then heat the existing solder at the base (including heating the pot. Having solder on the tip already will help the existing solder melt, and the pot needs to heat up too for it all to work. . . . at least in my experience :).

It's possible that your iron isn't hot enough, but if you've used it before, that's unlikely.

• Members

If you're gonna be doing your own modding, you might want to get the 40-watt desoldering tool from Radio Shack. Ten bucks and it makes life soooo much easier---Nowadays when I plug in the soldering iron, the un-soldering iron gets plugged in right next to it.

• Members

I had the same problem trying to de-solder the grounding wire from a trem claw on a Yamaha. Had to switch to the widest tip I had and flood the area with new solder to get the old solder to flow.

Are you using a pencil tip or blade tip?

• Members

You may have run into some of the newer lead-free solder. Some of that stuff almost needs a torch to melt it. Unless you've got some major problem with short leads, I'd just clip em off and move on.

Archived