are most guitar parts for albums recorded sitting down?

CarmenJuandeago

• Members

just noticed then when i sit down my tremolo picking speed went up and just felt a lot more comfortable than i was when i was standing up....

also tom morello always has his guitar slung up pretty high...

now i dont even have my guitar slung that low its like... just barely covering the pelvis area a normal slung guitar

or is it just a higher guitar is easier to play no matter what?

• Members

the higher the guitar, the less you are reaching, so yes, it is easier to play.

Are most recordings done while the guitarist is sitting? Hard to say, but probably more are recorded with the guitarist sitting down than you think.

Guitars slung low look cool on stage, but it also makes them harder to play, so you need to balance the dweeb factor with the ease of play factor.:)

• Members

Depending on how you actually like to grip the neck, playing sitting down or with the guitar slung high can make quite a bit of difference in comfort/ease of playing. It has to do with the position of your wrist. I can play leads exponentially easier with the neck high either via sitting down or a tighter strap.

• Members

My rhythm guitar and bass tracks I will do sitting down, leads I almost always stand up to record.

I'll do a rough mix of the basic tracks so I can have them blasting over the monitors and I will record leads direct off either of my head's recording out or my processors line outs.

• Members

Who knows as you can never really know unless you're in the studio. But I did find it interesting that the scenes in some kind of monster always showed james sitting down when he was recording parts for st. anger. I'd be willing to bet that was typical for him. I also found it interesting when they did the vocals to one of the songs james was just belting it out right at the control board with bob rock sitting right next to him. I suppose it could have been a rough take but it certainly looked like one for the album by Rock's instructions too him.

• Members

the higher the guitar, the less you are reaching, so yes, it is easier to play.

Are most recordings done while the guitarist is sitting? Hard to say, but probably more are recorded with the guitarist sitting down than you think.

Guitars slung low look cool on stage, but it also makes them harder to play, so you need to balance the dweeb factor with the ease of play factor.
:)

I seriously disagree with the higher=easier thing here. Are you a T-rex or something? If you sling your guitar where most guitarist do, i.e the waist, you are hardly reaching.

• Members

My rhythm guitar and bass tracks I will do sitting down, leads I almost always stand up to record.

That's interesting, I'm kind of opposite. I almost always do rhythm parts standing, but my leads are 50/50 standing vs. sitting.

It really depends on the song and what the leads are. I prefer playing standing, but for some more technical stuff or if it's just patching in lead bits and not an extended solo sitting is more comfortable (and if I'm at home recording it's easier to deal with the computer if I'm sitting right there). If I'm not getting a good vibe I'll switch it up - sometimes standing up lets you get into it more, sometimes sitting down lets you focus more. I think I did all the solo on my last album standing. Slide solos I almost always do sitting - I just have a lot more control.

I would expect there's a good mix out there, and it really depends on the genre.

Archived