Why does my first string always sound weak!

ledzep686

• Members

If by first string you mean the high E then this is a matter of physics. The high E doesn't have the same energy as the lower strings. You need to move the pups closer to the string. It may also be a factor of the pups themselves.

The buzzing is a different matter, but buzz will kill tone

• Members

I've got a Fender Mexi-Strat and I feel like my first string has weaker tone than the rest of my guitar. Also, I have the action on that string raised higher than all the other strings but it still buzzes. This has been annoying me for years!

You may have a high fret at the higher end of the fretboard. Check none are beginning to come loose at the end and bow back up.

Also check that the high E hasn't cut down into the nut, lowering the action at that end.

• Members

opened string sound weak and buzzy? whatch your 0 fret and bridge and it could be booz on 1 of pick up. try to change your 1(!!) string on fatter string from other package. its becose of typical single pick up settings http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/6/5/428365.jpg

the magnet of 1st string is lower that others. put your magnet higher. if its not able to regulate it separatly put only 1 side of your pick up higher.

also your frets could be not in a good shape

write here if you`ll solve your problem.

P|S

also you could flip your pick up too.

• Members

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah it's probably time for a setup. I'm trying to do more work myself. But don't really have the knowledge or skills to do my own setup. I can raise the pickups. But messing with the nut and truss rod and filing frets is different story. I use 11 gauge strings and don't like to go heavier than that.

• Members

No reason to have the high E string raised higher then others unless the nut slot is cut too low or has fret burr or other fret bump causing it. 11 gauge is more then thick enough for meatier tone. So can safely geuass the pups need raising on that side. Also look at pole peices, are the high E string pole peices lower then the others? If so, raise them so same height as B string.

Lower high e string so its same height as B string. Try to find higher up frets it doesnt buzz on. Fret problem will be above it (closer to nut end). Or nut slots too low.

• Members

Does the E sound better fretted than when open? Does it sound OK at ANY fret?

If you can fret the 1st fret and get a good sound then it's probably the E strings nut slot. A slot that is not slanted correctly can cause a sort of buzzing sound and make a string sound weak as well as not sustain much. A 10 sec. fix with a nut file.

• Members

Okay here's what I've done. I raised the action a little bit more. At this point the saddle is barely hanging on to the posts on the first string. I raised the treble side pickups some more and the bridge pickup is pretty much as lopsided as I can make it. Still kinda weak although those things helped. Most of the buzzing occurs between the 9th and 12th frets and its too hard for me to tell if there is one spot where it stops. Here's some pics.

• Members

Okay here's what I've done. I raised the action a little bit more. At this point the saddle is barely hanging on to the posts on the first string. I raised the treble side pickups some more and the bridge pickup is pretty much as lopsided as I can make it. Still kinda weak although those things helped. Most of the buzzing occurs between the 9th and 12th frets and its too hard for me to tell if there is one spot where it stops. Here's some pics.

you ever try a 12 for your high E(leave the other gauges the same)?

• Members

Looks to me like you have swapped out the stock pickups. The E strings do not travel directly over the pole pieces on the those pickups. That is a sure fire way to get a weak sound out of a string. The pickup just does not read the string very well like that.

Also, if a string is not intoned properly, it will sound really bad on some parts of the neck. You can check this by fretting the string at the 12th fret and then checking that against the harmonic at the 12th fret, if they are not 99.99% the same, then it needs to be set.

• Members

Looks to me like you have swapped out the stock pickups. The E strings do not travel directly over the pole pieces on the those pickups. That is a sure fire way to get a weak sound out of a string. The pickup just does not read the string very well like that.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Is there anything I can do to fix that? The neck pick-up is okay, but the first string completely misses its pole on the first string.

• Members

Yeah I noticed that as well. Is there anything I can do to fix that? The neck pick-up is okay, but the first string completely misses its pole on the first string.

Yep, and that will kill the tone of that string, especally on frets 12 and up. All you can really do is look for a pickup that fits your string spacing.

The other option is installing a trem with wider string spacing, but them your E strings will fall off the sides of the neck when you play. So then you need a new neck too. :freak: Not recommended, so yeah, look for a pickup with pole spacing that will match your string spacing. that or just live with it, which I too would have a hard time with.

• Members

To lower the action I would start first by checking for high frets, if that checks out okay then maybe have a new nut cut.

I was always under the impression that the way the magnetic field strength is on a singlecoil the pole spacing didn't make that much of a difference.

Changing the height can cause its own problems.

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/pickups/

Archived