Do many of you guys do the 7 way mod on the Strats?

sfarfsky

• Members

I have it on a G&L Comanche -- they come stock that way. Wouldn't want to be without it.

I played a G & L a while back and it had some super awesome tone knob. It wasn't like most tone knobs where you lose highs first. Does your guitar have that and wtf is it? thanks

Also, is a true 7 way switch or is it using a push/pull or something?

OK dudes, I haven't been able to find a 7 way selector on google. Most of the guys with this mod have added small 2 ways (ugly as sin) or replaced tone knobs with push/pulls or something else that loses functionality.

• Members

with a separate switch it just adds the bridge pickup i believe so

position 1 on the 5 way + switch on = neck + bridge

position 2 on the 5 way + switch on = neck, middle, and bridge

For that kind of thing I'd almost rather have an on/off switch for each pup. Either small toggles or slider switches.

• Members

Mine goes:

neck

neck + middle parallel

middle

middle + bridge parallel

bridge

middle neck series

middle + bridge series

neck + middle + bridge series

neck + bridge parallel

[neck + middle series] + bridge parallel

[middle + bridge series] + neck parallel

etc.

Those are on push-pulls. Next time I take it apart I'm adding a toggle to put the middle out of phase and another toggle to bypass all the pots so the signal goes straight from the pups, through the switching to the output jack.

• Members

For that kind of thing I'd almost rather have an on/off switch for each pup. Either small toggles or slider switches.

I prefer 3 on/off switches. Just easier for me. I also just use one tone. I don't see the sense in having 2 like what a regular strat has.

Or you can do a p/p volume pot as shown in this diag.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1204

Anyone who says you lose versitility with this is smokin' something other than cigs in the boy's room!

• Members

I prefer 3 on/off switches. Just easier for me. I also just use one tone. I don't see the sense in having 2 like what a regular strat has.

Or you can do a p/p volume pot as shown in this diag.

Anyone who says you lose versitility with this is smokin' something other than cigs in the boy's room!

I see now, I didn't think through this all the way. I could just add a push/pull and not have to stick an ugly switch on there.

I'm completely opposed to adding three switches on there because it would look repulsive imo. Hell, I'd like to have a volume and tone for each knob but same deal, would look like ass.

• Members

I see now, I didn't think through this all the way. I could just add a push/pull and not have to stick an ugly switch on there.

I'm completely opposed to adding three switches on there because it would look repulsive imo. Hell, I'd like to have a volume and tone for each knob but same deal, would look like ass.

Not necessarily. Allparts sells a stacked, concentric 250K [500K's as well] pots so you could wire it ala Danelectro with volume/tone for each - the only thing that would look different would be the knobs.

• Members

ok so I have volume and tone for each pup but what about pup selection? Wouldn't I still just have a 5 way selector :confused:

I want all pups on and bridge + neck option

also with that setup I couldn't do volume swells :cry:

So many options but none perfect. my head hurts :facepalm:

• Members

ok so I have volume and tone for each pup but what about pup selection? Wouldn't I still just have a 5 way selector
:confused:

I want all pups on and bridge + neck option

also with that setup I couldn't do volume swells
:cry:

So many options but none perfect. my head hurts
:facepalm:

You'd have to use a super-switch. But once you get this crazy, you have to make trade-offs as there are far more options than means to implement them without putting in a ton of toggles.

• Members

I have the 7 way switching on my Deluxe Players Strat. I didn't buy it for that reason, I just liked the guitar. Honestly, the tonal variation isn't all that inspiring, it's just a nuance. When I first got it I tried the extra two combinations and and haven't used them since. This guitar has the vintage noiseless, so maybe with a set of brighter sounding pickups, the different tones might be interesting.

Archived