Les Paul/Piezo Question...

ggc

• Members

Hi folks!

I recently picked up a 2003 Epiphone Elite Les Paul and was thinking about having a piezo pickup system installed on it. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience installing a piezo on a Les Paul and, if so, what system was used.

So far, the Ghost System seems to be about the most straight-forward that I've come across, but I don't really know what else is out there. I would like to find something that changes the appearance of the guitar as little as possible...My plan would be to just have a second 1/4" jack installed for the piezo only and control whether it's on or off and the level with an A/B switch and/or a volume pedal.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Members

I remember someone on here doing one maybe a year ago or so. It was hard to tell anything was done with just a quick look. Don't remember what system it was though.

As far as the two outputs, might i suggest using one but making it a stereo output and use a y-cable. The Stero jack gives you two channels to hook up too. I had this on a Peavey Generation a couple years back and it worked awsome. It also had a switch to turn the piezo on like your thinking of doing so you could play both together---made it interesting going into two seperate amps. Just something to think about.

• Members

It was probably mine. I put a Ghost system in an Edwards Les Paul. It really worked out well and sounded excellent.

I have a Ghost system in a PRS now.

Here are the old threads from the piezo install on the Edwards. The clips are long gone though.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1747431

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1758587

• Members

I can't make any better suggestion than the Ghost. Everything I've heard about them is top notch.

As for the dual outputs, that's definitely the way to go. My Carvin DC127 is wired so that when there are two cables connected, the signals are entirely independent of each other. This is great when I run each output into its own channel on my POD X3 to record multiple tracks of the same playing with different tones.. However, if just the main is connected, they both go through the same jack, so you can blend some awesome cleans together. Best of both worlds.

EDIT: Here is another install thread..

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1033226

• Members

Thanks for the responses folks, I appreciate it! The guitars look great...pretty much impossible to notice a difference, unless it was pointed out! Looks like Ghost is the way to go. Any ideas what the cost would be for a tech to do this sort of job...I certainly don't have the skills that you guys appear to have when it comes to woodworking/electronics...

• Members

When I was buying a Carvin CT a few years ago, I wanted a piezo on it. Carvin won't install one from the factory, so I called a couple techs to have it done. One said he wouldn't touch the job due to the complexity.. (wtf?) and the other told me the labor alone would run me about $200, which I felt was insane.

• Members

Thanks for the responses folks, I appreciate it! The guitars look great...pretty much impossible to notice a difference, unless it was pointed out! Looks like Ghost is the way to go. Any ideas what the cost would be for a tech to do this sort of job...I certainly don't have the skills that you guys appear to have when it comes to woodworking/electronics...

It's not all that hard to do. The Ghost system is modular and all the connections plug into the circuit board. It's pretty foolproof and has a good instruction manual with it.

The hardest part is getting the wires from the bridge to the control cavity but after that it's easy.

You can run the wires from the bridge into the bridge pup cavity without drilling the body. You make a small notch in the pup ring and run them through there. It's not invisible but it's not that noticeable.

I put a battery box in mine for convenience but it isn't necessary. The battery will fit in the control cavity.

Going with separate outputs will require a 3/4" hole to be drilled for the 2nd jack. No getting around that.

You can use a Y-cable though instead of 2 jacks. You need one with one male stereo plug to two female mono jacks.

If you lived near me I'd do the whole job for you for $100.

Archived