esp ec 1000 emgs VS. jb/59

dxh

• Members

I'm already sold on an esp vintage black. i love it, but am not crazy about the emgs. ive seen a demo on youtube on the ec1000 with the jb 59 and loved the sound on it. terrible idea to buy the one with emgs and swap it out for the jb /59 combo?

this is my first guitar with humbuckers. ive been learning on a MIM strat.

• Members

well, i'm still learning. but i enjoy metal/hardcore pop punk. eventually hoping to purchase a jcm800 or mesa dual recto.

ive seen a few demos on youtube with the jb/59 combo, but it's that ugly color. i'm considering the vintage black. it will be my first real guitar. i just dont know how i'll feel about the emgs.

• Members

well, i'm still learning. but i enjoy metal/hardcore pop punk. eventually hoping to purchase a jcm800 or mesa dual recto.

ive seen a few demos on youtube with the jb/59 combo, but it's that ugly color. i'm considering the vintage black. it will be my first real guitar. i just dont know how i'll feel about the emgs.

Go to a guitar shop and play guitars that feature the above mentioned pickups, and see what you like best before you make your purchase.

• Members

If you like the guitar, buy it, switch the pups, make sure you like them after the switch, the sell the EMG's on ebay.

Seymour Duncan has a 21 day real world guarentee which means you can return there pup for exchange for 21 days. You could always exchange the JB/59 for Blackouts if you like the eq of the JB but like the active benefits/negatives better.

• Members

EMG's are active and a whole different ball game to passive pickups. They have a real love/hate relationship.

Personally, I don't find them as diverse as passives. They are good for heavy stuff. You really have to try them but it being your first humbucker guitar, why don't you buy the ESP, give them a go and if you don't like them, swap for the Duncan's and ebay the EMG's.

I hope you have played the ESP too, not just going for it for it's looks. I would take the feel of a good neck on a guitar in choosing over anything.

Good luck!

• Members

ive played a esp ec1000. vintage black im probably just going to get it. and play it with the emgs for awhile. before deciding to swap them out. i love the ec 1000. and would prefer passive pickups, but im not crazy about the amber sunburst or any colors for that matter.

• Members

ive played a esp ec1000. vintage black im probably just going to get it. and play it with the emgs for awhile. before deciding to swap them out. i love the ec 1000. and would prefer passive pickups, but im not crazy about the amber sunburst or any colors for that matter.

fair enough. For what its worth, I'm sure the EMGs will sounds fine for what you're looking to do. But if not, I wouldn't immediately switch to passives...EMG makes an assload of pickup that do different stuff, and they have the quick connects so you don't even have to do any soldering.

Archived