For $2000 - PRS Custom 24 Dave Navarro, PRS Mira, Fender Custom Classic Strat?

yell03

• Members

You make a good point, but....

There is a 35%-40% profit built in on Fenders and Gibsons.

On a $1000 guitar they make $350-$400.

I just feel $150-$200 is a fair profit.

I am a Pharmacist and own a respiratory Pharmacy.

If a drug cost me $100, the insurance companies pay me $109-$110 (a whopping $9-$10 profit) and make me wait 30 days to get paid.

Then they audit me and if I forgot to dot an i or cross a t, they take the whole $110 back, so now I have to fill 11 RXs just to break even.

Nobody cries for me, I just need to break my balls and do huge volume to make a living, just like these Guitar retailers.
:)

Keep in mind, in that 35%-40% mark up they have to pay for shipping and what not. In the drug market you can do high volume without hurting the market. If guitars started going out at high volume you probably wouldn't see nearly as much quality in the instruments and they would be worth nothing once someone bought them.

Again, I'm just tired of seeing all the threads of people complaining about prices of guitars, especially when 99% of the prices are now set by the manufacturer not the retailer.

Also, the states are beginning to audit all companies for tax exempt and anything they can fine a company. I know of a few major retailers that got hit hard because of doing one little thing wrong on a tax exempt transaction and the fines are ridiculous. Now keep that in mind with the margin of profit greatly reduced and think about how long companies will be able to hang in there...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Keep in mind, in that 35%-40% mark up they have to pay for shipping and what not. In the drug market you can do high volume without hurting the market. If guitars started going out at high volume you probably wouldn't see nearly as much quality in the instruments and they would be worth nothing once someone bought them.

Again, I'm just tired of seeing all the threads of people complaining about prices of guitars, especially when 99% of the prices are now set by the manufacturer not the retailer.

Also, the states are beginning to audit all companies for tax exempt and anything they can fine a company. I know of a few major retailers that got hit hard because of doing one little thing wrong on a tax exempt transaction and the fines are ridiculous. Now keep that in mind with the margin of profit greatly reduced and think about how long companies will be able to hang in there...

The one thing I think that is unfair is the fact that online retailers do not need to charge tax.

The kills local retailers who must charge 6%-8% in my area.

I think you should pay whatever tax you have in your local state to help even things up a bit.

• Members

The one thing I think that is unfair is the fact that online retailers do not need to charge tax.

The kills local retailers who must charge 6%-8% in my area.

I think you should pay whatever tax you have in your local state to help even things up a bit.

If an online retailer has a store front in a state they must charge tax for purchases shipping to that state. So for instance Guitar Center would have to charge tax in nearly every state for online purchases. This includes Music123, Musicians Friend and any other company under that umbrella. Failure to do this will land that company with HUGE fines from each state as soon as they audit that company.

I hate working retail and having people ask me to take of the tax. I simply tell them to talk to their state representative because I'm not the one charging them the extra 8.625% on their purchase.

• Members
UPDATE:

I put the order in for the New PRS Navarro today.

It is still not in stock yet, but since they only have one coming in I ordered it for $1917 to reserve it.

I'll probably order the Fender Custom Shop after my Les Paul Custom sells.:thu:

• Members
They sold me a New Fender American Standard Telecaster last month for $780 shipped to my door and they threw in a 10 pack of Dimarzio 9-42s.
:)

They also sold me a New Fender Custom Shop Classic Custom Strat for $1650, regularly $2099.

My local GC sold me a New $1049 American Standard Strat for $780 + tax = $826.

I returned the Am Std Strat as I didn't bond with it.

Cost or not, I didn't like the Mira enough to spend $1200, nice guitar, but I'd rather have the Custom 24.

I have a bad habit of buying deals, I feel good about returning the Strat and passing on the Mira.

Now I need to stay strong and pass on the New Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic for $1559 they are offering me.
:facepalm:

I have a local store that gives me similar deals all the time.

Of course, everything is also marked at full retail for those that don't care about what they pay, but when I ask what their best price is, they usual response is AT LEAST 40% off MSRP, usually closer to 45% off.

Now I've got to believe if a smaller local store like this can do it, the big online retailer can afford to sell for even less, regardless of how much they like to act like another 10-15% off is 'below their cost' half the time...

• Members

I have a local store that gives me similar deals all the time.

Of course, everything is also marked at full retail for those that don't care about what they pay, but when I ask what their best price is, they usual response is AT LEAST 40% off MSRP, usually closer to 45% off.

Now I've got to believe if a smaller local store like this can do it, the big online retailer can afford to sell for even less, regardless of how much they like to act like another 10-15% off is 'below their cost' half the time...

10% off should be a given, 15% off they do with their trade-in and trade-up, and 20% off is an extra special discount they send to frequent buyers....

Of course this is off normal selling price.

I try not to buy when I can't get a promo.

When buying a $2000+ instrument, $500 off means a lot.

I have a kid starting college next year:facepalm:

Archived