For $2000 - PRS Custom 24 Dave Navarro, PRS Mira, Fender Custom Classic Strat?

yell03

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
the navarro.

they are incredible, and they look killer.

I really like that PRS Navarro for $1900, but....

the regular PRS Custom 24 is $3055, even with $20% off that is $2444, $900 more than the Fender and more than I am willing to spend on any guitar.

If they won't match the $1900 price now, I might lose out on the Fender and the PRS.

I decided I don't want a MIRA, I don't like the wrap around bridge.

I can buy the Fender now, take 45 days to decide if it is right and then if the PRS comes in for the right price, exchange it.:)

• Members
I DO like the velocity yellow! Here's a better shot of my avatar wheels (it's an '09)

PA131479.jpg

I would not want to race that with my current C6 if the person driving the Z06 knows how to drive it.

There are guys I know running Bone Stock Z06s to 10.8-10.9s on street tires at 128-129mph.
The best time for a Bone Stock 436hp LS3 C6 is 11.7-11.8 at 119-120.

From a roll the Z06 would crush my car, the only chance I would have is from a dead stop where my automatic with less power is easier to launch.

I have owned an 03 Cobra with 500rwhp that ran 11.84@120.57 and a 2001 Viper GTS that I ran to a 11.67@120.56, my 462rwhp 5.0 ran 11.22@124.56, none of them felt as fast as that Z06.:eek:

• Members

Yup :lol: the Z06 is a beast. My previous Vette was a 6 liter '05 C6 coupe with a mere 400HP and it was quick by most sane people's standards. The 7 liter '09 Z06 is 505HP and it's just insane for an every day driver. I joke about it, but punching it hard in any of the lower gears feels like getting hit from behind by an express train. Oh and the tire-smoking wheelspin is just a hoot.

But back to the guitars... I still think you ought to take the PRS because you've already got your strat and tele itch covered.

• Members
get the navarro, i had one and it was a great guitar and im sorry i sold it.

Tell me a bit about it.
How were the clean tones?
How about with gain?
Fast neck?
Did it feel like quality?

Right now I am trying to decide if I should keep my American Standard Strat.
I like it, but I don't LOVE it.
Compared to my Custom Classic Strat it sounds dull, not resonant at all.
It even sounds dull compared to my American Standard Telecaster.
The American Standard Strat loves gain, but clean it is lacking that Strat Twang.
As for playability, the Telecaster C neck feels much better than the Strat C Neck, which is weird, I think they are the same?:rolleyes:

The V neck on the Custom Classic is amazing.:)

Decisions, Decisions:confused:

• Members

Go used and you can get the 24 fret Custom, if that's what you really want. Also, are you 'Vette guys aware that PRS made a Z06 guitar? I found one the other night online, at Elderly I think. It's Competition Orange and in your price range. Sounds like you're hung up using one particular retailer (sounds like MF) - shop around. Lots of deals on used PRSs now (Elderly, Willcutt, etc.).

• Members

If I had that budget, I would go with a Hamer since I miss my Monaco Elite, or a Carvin CT6. I took a friend to Carvin after we checked a few PRS guitars elsewhere. He actually bought a CS6 instead, and later exchanged it for a CS4. My choice would have been a CT6. I would also consider a Washburn USA.

If I wanted a Fender Custom I would wait for a BIG offer, like when they had the Yngwie for $1000 (not that I would buy that particular model). Otherwise I prefer Melancon, Suhr, G&L, etc.

Another brand I like is Music Man, but I only have experience with the Steve Morse model.

I also have a 20% discount at a major retailer, and each time I want to buy a guitar I end up buying it elsewhere, without the discount, but cheaper. Amazon has some incredible deals from time to time.

• Members
I would go with the DN and I still think the long square heal on PRS's looks cheap.

As long as it doesn't interfere with Fret access I don't care abut that.

My price on the Fender is locked in until 3/14/10.

I will give the PRS until 3/13/10 to come available and if they'll do the price of $1900 I will most likely buy that.

If not, I can always return my Fender American Standard Strat for $826, add that to my Paypal $1600 = $2425

Then I can buy both the Custom Shop Fender and PRS Mira for $2800.:)

• Members

The Navarro is going to be a collector's item.

Not too many of those around.

I've had my eye on one since they came out.
Absolutely stunning visually, all the right features, what's not to love?

I fail to see your connundrum. The answer is simple, the Navarro:wave:

• Members

The Navarro is going to be a collector's item.

Not too many of those around.

I've had my eye on one since they came out.

Absolutely stunning visually, all the right features, what's not to love?

I fail to see your connundrum. The answer is simple, the Navarro:wave:

I don't see it being a collector's item.

Gibson and PRS seem to make a signature model for every hack who has ever sold a record:facepalm:

With that said, it is a really nice guitar and I wouldn't mind owning it.

There are alot of things that factor in:

I already have a Custom Shop Strat and an American Standard Strat

I don't have a Strat with a Rosewood board

That leads me to sell the Am Std and buy the New Custom Classic

I don't have a PRS, 24 frets, or a guitar with a real Trem

That leads me to the PRS Navarro

I don't really like trems....

That leads me to the PRS Mira

Two choices basically are:

Buy new PRS Mira and new Custom Shop Strat, sell American Standard Strat

or

buy new PRS Navarro and keep American Standard Strat

• Members

I went through a Carvin phase, now I am more in to my Gibsons and Fenders.

Just keep in mind that Carvin has changed quite a bit in the past 5 years or so, introducing new models, new pickups, more options, etc.

I do have a bias against Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc. I get the feeling that I'm paying an extra 30% (or more) just for the brand name. When it comes to the custom shop, I've preferred going to an independent luthier. A few of the luthiers actually worked at Fender and/or Gibson custom shops, like Baker, Giffin, Suhr, et. al.

• Members

I went to GC today and played a couple of PRS Custom 24s, a Custom 22, and a Mira.

I definitely like the PRS Custom 24 the best with a regular neck and the HFS pick-ups.

They only had two used ones there and the one I liked best was the 2007 PRS Custom 24 with the HFS pups and regular neck, but it was $1981 after tax.

For those $$$, I'll order the Dave Navarro for $1900 and see if I can live with the wide/thin neck.

If not the search will be on for a used Custom 24 with a regular neck, I'm not going to spend $2400 for a new one.

The Mira I can order for $1217, while it was nice, it did not blow me away.

I'm still trying to decide if I should order the other Custom Shop Strat for $1559.
Right now I am leaning towards just ordering the one PRS.

• Members

I went to GC today and played a couple of PRS Custom 24s, a Custom 22, and a Mira.

I definitely like the PRS Custom 24 the best with a regular neck and the HFS pick-ups.

They only had two used ones there and the one I liked best was the 2007 PRS Custom 24 with the HFS pups and regular neck, but it was $1981 after tax.

For those $$$, I'll order the Dave Navarro for $1900 and see if I can live with the wide/thin neck.

If not the search will be on for a used Custom 24 with a regular neck, I'm not going to spend $2400 for a new one.

The Mira I can order for $1217, while it was nice, it did not blow me away.

I'm still trying to decide if I should order the other Custom Shop Strat for $1559.

Right now I am leaning towards just ordering the one PRS.

The Mira is $1217 with or without tax? If it is with tax, I find that highly unlikely, especially if it is new and has bird inlays...

• Members

The Mira is $1217 with or without tax? If it is with tax, I find that highly unlikely, especially if it is new and has bird inlays...

$1217 from an online retailer, moon inlays, no birds

• Members

$1217 from an online retailer, moon inlays, no birds

Free shipping?

$1217 is almost cost on a Mira like that. Any retailer that is selling something at cost and giving free shipping will not be around for very long.

• Members
Free shipping?

$1217 is almost cost on a Mira like that. Any retailer that is selling something at cost and giving free shipping will not be around for very long.

They sold me a New Fender American Standard Telecaster last month for $780 shipped to my door and they threw in a 10 pack of Dimarzio 9-42s.:)

They also sold me a New Fender Custom Shop Classic Custom Strat for $1650, regularly $2099.

My local GC sold me a New $1049 American Standard Strat for $780 + tax = $826.

I returned the Am Std Strat as I didn't bond with it.

Cost or not, I didn't like the Mira enough to spend $1200, nice guitar, but I'd rather have the Custom 24.

I have a bad habit of buying deals, I feel good about returning the Strat and passing on the Mira.

Now I need to stay strong and pass on the New Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic for $1559 they are offering me.:facepalm:

• Members

They sold me a New Fender American Standard Telecaster last month for $780 shipped to my door and they threw in a 10 pack of Dimarzio 9-42s.
:)

They also sold me a New Fender Custom Shop Classic Custom Strat for $1650, regularly $2099.

My local GC sold me a New $1049 American Standard Strat for $780 + tax = $826.

I returned the Am Std Strat as I didn't bond with it.

Cost or not, I didn't like the Mira enough to spend $1200, nice guitar, but I'd rather have the Custom 24.

I have a bad habit of buying deals, I feel good about returning the Strat and passing on the Mira.

Now I need to stay strong and pass on the New Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic for $1559 they are offering me.
:facepalm:

Where ever you are buying from must be really struggling or they are moving gear that has been there for a looooong while. Just keep in mind, every time you get a "great" deal you are hurting the value of the guitar. If everyone can get a new Am Standard Strat for about $800 they market will just fall through and you'll see more people losing jobs to over seas work.

Maybe I am crazy, but I don't search or ask for a deal. If I like a guitar, I pay the sticker for it since there isn't a lot of mark up in it to begin with. Also, if I really like a guitar, why do I need to take money out of someone else's paycheck to buy it? I'm sorry for the rant, but all you see anymore are posts about how people won't buy a guitar unless they get 20% off or some crazy deal. It's just making the worth of the instruments go down and making an American made instrument worth nothing.

• Members
Where ever you are buying from must be really struggling or they are moving gear that has been there for a looooong while. Just keep in mind, every time you get a "great" deal are hurting the value of the guitar. If everyone can get a new Am Standard Strat for about $800 they market will just fall through and you'll see more people losing jobs to over seas work.

Maybe I am crazy, but I don't search or ask for a deal. If I like a guitar, I pay the sticker for it since there isn't a lot of mark up in it to begin with. Also, if I really like a guitar, why do I need to take money out of someone else's paycheck to buy it? I'm sorry for the rant, but all you see anymore are posts about how people won't by a guitar unless they get 20% off or some crazy deal. It's just making the worth of the instruments go down and making an American made instrument worth nothing.

You make a good point, but....

There is a 35%-40% profit built in on Fenders and Gibsons.
On a $1000 guitar they make $350-$400.
I just feel $150-$200 is a fair profit.

I am a Pharmacist and own a respiratory Pharmacy.
If a drug cost me $100, the insurance companies pay me $109-$110 (a whopping $9-$10 profit) and make me wait 30 days to get paid.
Then they audit me and if I forgot to dot an i or cross a t, they take the whole $110 back, so now I have to fill 11 RXs just to break even.

Nobody cries for me, I just need to break my balls and do huge volume to make a living, just like these Guitar retailers.:)

Archived