Epi Jumbo GAS...

steve_man

• Members

Okay, played one of these a few weeks ago...and really thought about picking it up. It was on a good sale at GC, but the one they had in stock had obviously been "tried out" a lot in the store. Didn't want a new guitar in that shape, so I passed. However, it sounded really good, nice fat Epi neck...and played extremely well. I wish they made the non-cutaway model with a pickup....but I guess I could add that myself. Anyways, here's what I'm kinda gassing for at the moment....:facepalm:

37241_l.jpg

epiphone-ej200-acoustic-530-85.jpg

Epiphone EJ-200

• Members

If it sounded good and played good you should have bought it. Unless it was completely beat to {censored} from having been "tried out". If there were any significant dings you might have made a deal to get a little knocked off the price.

But waiting to get a "new, shiney, non-tried out" guitar might mean you get one that looks perfect but doesn't sound as good.

• Members

If it sounded good and played good you should have bought it. Unless it was completely beat to {censored} from having been "tried out". If there were any significant dings you might have made a deal to get a little knocked off the price.

But waiting to get a "new, shiney, non-tried out" guitar might mean you get one that looks perfect but doesn't sound as good.

Yeah, I know...but I can find one used, so I'll wait. If it's gonna look used already, I'd rather pay used prices...:thu:

• Members

i have one. It really is beautiful but it doesn't sound that good and is a struggle to play. I just don't like Epiphone necks (and I have 2 of them!). If I could do it over again, I'd buy a used Gretsch acoustic on eBay. D40 or something. Or just save up for a J-45

• Members

I do like the thick necks on the Epis...just feels nice...

I find the necks too thin. But then again, I have no knowledge of neck sizes. As far as I know, my strat, with a super vintage 7.25 radius and I assume C shaped neck, feels bigger, my tele with a modern C feels bigger and my SG Classic feels the biggest.

My Epi LP and SJ just feel small cramped and sticky

• Members

IMO a lot of money for a very mediocre "bling" covered acoustic

you could do much better in build quality and tone for the money.... I personally dont feel that budget acoustics are really truly representative of their design.... a lot of dreads, jumbos, etc.... all kind of sound the same and you dont get the true distinction tonally that you would get comparing upper end acoustics where the materials, the bracing pattern, and the choice of top really bring out the differences of dread, vs jumbo, vs OM etc...

• Members

$399 for an acoustic without a solid spruce top? I dunno. I noticed that Musician's Friend has a limited edition version (less ornate) for $199. That seems more palatable.

Funny, had not noticed that...odd that it does not have a solid top, when these both do, and they are $100 cheaper...:confused:

475286.jpg

476047.jpg

The last one, a small-body, has surprising tone and volume for being a smaller-bodied guitar. Played one at the local shop during lunch. Really nice guitar for the money.

• Members

I dig the L00. Fantstic sound from that style of guitar.

I ended up buying the Ibanez AC30NT. It was cheaper than the Epi and sounded better. (The real flame maple binding doesn't hurt either)

Gonna replace it with an Art & Lutherie Ami soon, though. I hate 25.5" guitars.

EG

• Members

I bought an Epi EE00 and it was really a sloppy build. It sounded good but I couldn't live with all the flaws. Sent it back for refund to MF. Sloppy binding, smeared glue around the interior bracings and some weird {censored} peeling where the fretboard met the sound hole. I am not going to use a 299.00 guitar for a wall hanger. The MF rep I talked to told me they just started making them in China. Sound and quality was no comparison to the 99.00 Mitchell I bought from MF.

• Members

I absolutely love my jumbo and play it more than any of my other guitars. I scored this 78' Cortez J200 a couple of years ago for $250 and it's the best acoustic I've ever played other than a Taylor 815CE. The only thing this thing lacks that a real Gibson has is the moustache bridge and the name on the headstock. The old Cortez were the original Corts that were made in Japan before they moved the factories to Korea.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

• Members

I dig the L00. Fantstic sound from that style of guitar.

I ended up buying the Ibanez AC30NT. It was cheaper than the Epi and sounded better. (The real flame maple binding doesn't hurt either)

Gonna replace it with an Art & Lutherie Ami soon, though. I hate 25.5" guitars.

EG

I just got an Art & Lutherie secondhand. Damn what a kickass guitar. I think mine is the precursor to the Cedar model, I'm not sure though.

• Members

I absolutely love my jumbo and play it more than any of my other guitars. I scored this 78' Cortez J200 a couple of years ago for $250 and it's the best acoustic I've ever played other than a Taylor 815CE. The only thing this thing lacks that a real Gibson has is the moustache bridge and the name on the headstock. The old Cortez were the original Corts that were made in Japan before they moved the factories to Korea.

IMG_0615.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg

:love::love::love:

Nice!

• Members

Not too long ago Epiphone came out with the EJ-200 Artist. Just like the EJ-200, but without the moustache bridge, the fret marker inlays, and the fancy pickguard. I had played en EJ200 at a GC one time and almost bought it, but I was hesitant about the laminated top. So I bought the Artist for $199 from MF to try it out. I really dig this guitar. The sound, the neck, and the looks.

My only problem was when I replaced the junk strings with a set of 10's I had laying around, it played like a dream at first, but the more I fiddled with it the worse the action got. I tried adding a bone nut, bone bridge saddle and filing down the original bridge saddle. I should have left my hands off of it. It still sounds like a million bucks despite the laminated top, but the action is higher than I would like it to be. I guess I'll have to keep fiddling around with it until I get it right.

Anyway, at $199, I highly recommend the EJ200 Artist.

Archived