Since there isn't a violin forum around here...

johanneswiberg

• Members

... I'll just see if this deep well of music-related knowledge can come up with an answer to my question:

My students are playing a song that was originally in D minor but we've changed it to E minor so that it fits the singer. The problem is, the violin part is played on two, even three strings so it only fits a certain key. Can a violin be tuned up a full step without risking string, or worse, neck breakage?

This is really important so I'd love your input guys.

• Members

Looks like it is done sometimes at least on one string.

The tuning G-D-A-E is used for the great majority of all violin music. However, other tunings are occasionally employed (for example, tuning the G string up to A), both in classical music (where the technique is known as scordatura) and in some folk styles.

http://www.theviolinsite.com/history.html

• Members

Hmm, well Cross Tuning is where the bottom 2 strings are tuned up two steps (AEAE), to play in the key of A major. EDAE is also a tuning in fiddle music. Could you work with either of those?

Thanks for the input, but no, not the way the part is played, it's really dependant on the E-B-F# strings being tuned that way (originally the D-A-E strings, that is).

• Members

Thanks for the input, but no, not the way the part is played, it's really dependant on the E-B-F# strings being tuned that way (originally the D-A-E strings, that is).

Is it played only on the E B F# strings?

If so, you could tune those strings up and tune the G string down to balance the over all tension.

You could also use an on-line string tension calculator to check that the total tension isn't greater than the standard tuning.

• Members
Is it played
only
on the E B F# strings?

If so, you could tune those strings
up
and tune the G string
down
to balance the over all tension.

You could also use an on-line string tension calculator to check that the total tension isn't greater than the standard tuning.

Good idea, although I'm not sure it will help against string breakage, although that is much preferable that being the cause of my student's broken violin neck...

I found a tension calculator for mandolin and tried it with the a EEBF# (low E instead of A) compared to regular GDAE.
EEBF# (84) was much better than AEBF# (94) although more tension than regular GDAE (78). Thanks for your input. :thu:

• Members

Rather CAS, as in cello, since my wife would like to learn how to play one, and I'd like to watch my wife do it... yeah that's right, female cellists are sexy as sex.

It's true. Lady cellists are the classical equivalent of a woman stepping forward and ripping out a solo on an SG.

• Members
Good idea, although I'm not sure it will help against string breakage, although that is much preferable that being the cause of my student's broken violin neck...

I found a tension calculator for mandolin and tried it with the a EEBF# (low E instead of A) compared to regular GDAE.

EEBF# (84) was much better than AEBF# (94) although more tension than regular GDAE (78). Thanks for your input.
:thu:

Cool. Never said anything useful before! :)

• Members

I wouldn't do it. A whole step up on all strings is gonna throw off her violin big time. The neck is going to flex quite a bit and to keep it there long enough for the student to practice that piece is dangerous at best and fatal (for the violin) at worst. Not good. Besides a flexed neck means a higher action and that won't be nice for her to play on anyway. Can't the singer sing a step lower?!?

• Members

Okay thanks for that, we won't try it then. It's already extremely low for the singer and all the other musicians have rehearsed the song in this key... thing is, it's the intro that's the hard violin part. We might play that in the original key and then change the key for the rest of the song... but it's gonna suck ass.

Better than a broken violin perhaps. :(

Archived