I'm a classic rock guy would I like a Carvin?

newmaxnew

• Members
Since when is Carvin synonymous with hard/rock metal? Carvins are INCREDIBLY versatile. My CT6 can do absolutely anything, as can my ultra V (the V certainly looks metal though).

In the '80s and early 90's they where branded as a shred guitar.
Pointy headstocks, DC was more pointy, X220 (post V220), and Ultra V.
Lot more pearl colors. Yellow, Pink, Purple, Light Blue, Green, etc..

But, around '93 Carvin started to soften the looks.
First the DC horns were more rounded less pointy.
Moved from an angled inline to a straight string pull design.
By '95 the headstock tip was rounded, and got progressively rounder to the current shape.
They added the SC90 and TL60 to the line up.
Neck went from a thin D shape to a medium C.
Went from a 14" radius, to a compound radius, to the current 12" radius as standard.
They dropped the '80s style colors. (wish they'd bring back Pearl Yellow).
And many more things.

Basically a night and day difference from '89 to '09.
Even though there are definitely more options today, I do wish they would have kept more of the old standards from back then as options for today.

88_dc400-small.jpg

2guitars-dc400w-1.jpg

• Members

I've owned multiple Carvins from the 80's, 90's, and 00's. They have gotten thicker over the years. Imo, the current DC neck is perfect. It's not fat or too thin. It is also true the CT & CS necks are thicker.

I also had a Holdsworth and that neck was super fat.

• Members
No they won't. There are lots of ways to go wrong.

Ignore him OP, he craps in every single Carvin thread cuz he has some kinda vendetta against them :p.

Carvin has options for just about anybody. And the customization aspect of it is of course awesome. But to sorta correct the comment a few posts above mine, Carvin does have a set of standard options. They take really custom requests occasionally but it'll be a significant price hike and you're likely to cancel out the return policy as well.

• Members

Lots of good info, thanks guys. If the currect DC necks are a medium "C" I think I would not have problem with it. I have a Fender Heartfield that has a real thin neck like an Ibanez Wizard and I just can't play that thing for very long.

I am selling an amp to my cousin and the next couple of months is real busy for the band so I should get a couple of nice paychecks. I just might have to order up a Carvin.

Max

• Members
Ignore him OP, he craps in every single Carvin thread cuz he has some kinda vendetta against them
:p

Carvin has options for just about anybody. And the customization aspect of it is of course awesome. But to sorta correct the comment a few posts above mine, Carvin does have a set of standard options. They take really custom requests occasionally but it'll be a significant price hike and you're likely to cancel out the return policy as well.

Not this personal bull{censored} again. :facepalm: How did I crap in this thread? He said Carvin will build practically anything you want. I just corrected an incorrect statement, and as a number of people here have pointed out, things can and sometimes do go wrong. That's a statement of fact, not crapping in a thread.

Archived