Ebay Problem...What would YOU do?

guitarcapo

• Members

Wow. I can't believe that I disagree with everyone of you this much. :eek:

Q: is there a used stamp, and is ser. no. in tact on inside label? Why swapped tuners? little white spot left side of sound hole, or flash? Any dings or scratches? New saddle should really help action. Just want to be thorough, and I appreciate honest appraisal, even neck straight and no problems and why traded to you? Thanks very much and please answere Feb-22-10

A: Stamped "Used", Like these tuners better, Flash, Always a scratch somewhere although I can not find one, Neck straight as an arrow...can not play this guitar around corners, Not traded to me....I buy half dozen at a time....good luck my friend.

First off the questions is so poorly written that I don't even know exactly what he's asking.

As for the serial number being scratched, I've seen it done on b-stock items from the factory so that the warranty is voided. I've had it both from e-Bay and from MF so I don't think that it means it was stolen.

We are talking about a $213 Epiphone acoustic guitar here. There were plenty of pictures. The guitar is not damaged. If you gave me a negative feedback based on the fact that YOU didn't bother to ask me a question and based solely on an obvious mistake between scratched out serial number and something marked used or second I'd be beyond pissed.

He also says that he buys them in bulk so it could be an honest mistake on his part.

And if you are worried about it being stolen....well only an idiot would scratch out a serial number and try to sell it. I mean who really checks the serial number of every guitar they buy? Who knows the serial number of every guitar they own? Who would keep track of the serial number for a $213 acoustic? Scratching it out does nothing but raise flags that a theif wouldn't want.

It's a nice guitar, you knew that it was marked second (in some fashion), you could see that the serial number is scratched out in the picture and he offered to take it back (minus original shipping which seems pretty fair to me).

How is any of that worthy of a negative rating?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My main concern was that the guitar was stolen, which I'm pretty convinced now it isn't. I'm thinking the guitar is probably worth less for resale value without the serial number, but it's not worth much anyway. It's not worth taking the $40 hit at this point shipping it back.

sounds fair.

the hit on resale (if you resell it) is probably less than the $40 to return it anyway.

happy new guitar day.

• Members

That's nuts. There's only so much the buyer can do and see from pictures. It should be safe to assume that an item isn't stolen and something as blatant as an altered serial number should be disclosed. This is on the seller 100%

It was in the picture, and nobody has proven that it's stolen.

• Members

3. It's not a 1959 Les Paul. It's a $200 guitar.

this is what ive been thinking too.

it almost sounds as if you have made a mountain out of a molehill here. i dont know that you have said to the seller, but it must have been something to make him want it back.

i would honestly email him back and say dont worry about it, it looks great, it plays great. and then play it like its stolen!!!!!

• Members

Read
. It explains why your guitar *might* have had its serial number scratched out.

The reason he gave about it being a factory second isn't true, but it's entirely up to you about how much of a stink you want to raise about it. The scratched-out serial number was in the pictures, so allowing you to return it on your own dime seems fair. He could have been clearer but... *shrug*

I'd enjoy the guitar. Looks like you got a good deal on it.

I think you're right. I bought a guitar recently that I was told would be stamped used as it was a factory second. I never paid attention to it before, but there is a sticker with a serial number over the serial number from the factory. I just peeled off the sticker and the last three digits of the serial number from the factory have been scratched out. It doesn't have used stamped in it, but right above the serial number(s) is a small indentation in the wood that looks like it was hit with something. My situation sounds very similar to the OP. It's probably legitimate but not explained well by the seller.

• Members

In situations like this I usually just don't leave feedback. He gets to keep his 100% but I'm not endorsing him either. A neutral looks bad too...but it shouldn't.

I was planning this all along but I thought it might make for a cool thread.

As a side review let me say that these are great guitars. Punchy and loud with no tinny quality. I'll probably add a pickup soon.

• Members
In situations like this I usually just don't leave feedback...

Situations in which the seller did absolutely nothing wrong? :confused:

He is very clear about everything in the link you provided, even mentioning:
"This is a "as-is, where is, with all known and unknown faults" auction. If you want a perfect guitar, go to your local guitar store."

"In the unlikely event that a negative feedback was to show up, clearly the bidder did not undertand the terms and conditions. You are bidding based on a picture....bid accordingly!"

He has 100% positive feedback with over 1500 transactions and ratings of 4.5-5 stars for a reason. Based on the link you posted I would give him positive feedback.

Archived