For what it's worth

Ralph onion

• Members

I bought my first Fender Tele because it was a Tele. I didn't do a damned thing to it. Played it for what it is. Same when I bought my Gibson SG. Appreciate what it does and its unique sound. Rickenbacker Dakota, it's Rick and like all the others I bought it for what it is. Same with all of my guitars, I am just proud to own them and play them for what they are. No two are alike. I would never think of changing them in any way. I admit that I am fortunate to be able to build a fine "stable" of American made masterpieces. They are all my babies. I respect the sound of each and every one. Yes I have a 99.00 Mitchell and I have Martins, they all give me playing pleasure for exactly what they are. There is a difference in neck sizes and playabilty and all of that tech {censored}. I have no idea what the output is for each and every pick up nor do I give a {censored}. I have a good friend, female, in her 40's and from Mississippi who can take a cheap assed guitar and make it sound like a 2000.00 guitar. In the long run it IS US who can make a guitar as a musical instrument, talk, walk,wail, growl or bitch.

• Members
I bought my first Fender Tele because it was a Tele. I didn't do a damned thing to it. Played it for what it is. Same when I bought my Gibson SG. Appreciate what it does and its unique sound. Rickenbacker Dakota, it's Rick and like all the others I bought it for what it is. Same with all of my guitars, I am just proud to own them and play them for what they are. No two are alike. I would never think of changing them in any way. I admit that I am fortunate to be able to build a fine "stable" of American made masterpieces. They are all my babies. I respect the sound of each and every one. Yes I have a 99.00 Mitchell and I have Martins, they all give me playing pleasure for exactly what they are. There is a difference in neck sizes and playabilty and all of that tech {censored}. I have no idea what the output is for each and every pick up nor do I give a {censored}. I have a good friend, female, in her 40's and from Mississippi who can take a cheap assed guitar and make it sound like a 2000.00 guitar. In the long run it IS US who can make a guitar as a musical instrument, talk, walk,wail, growl or bitch.

Well said :thu:

• Members

I hear ya Ralph. This guy don't need no bass, no drums, no stinking Crosby, Nash or Young... just a telecaster, an amp and a voice,
for what it's worth.

Something like THIS guy ... a little masterclass in rhythm guitar and KILLAHwatts of Teletone.

[YOUTUBE]rfL4MlEIB4Q[/YOUTUBE]

*glad he didn't die before he got old*

• Members

I buy things for what they are..... but there are so many great aftermarket products that you just cant get stock, unless you go high end custom route....

so I dont see the problem with changing some parts around if it helps you become happier with your instrument and your tone...

• Members

Having a little bit of knowledge, ability, curiosity and creativity with tweaking your amp controls goes a long way toward good tone. Similarly, knowing how to use your guitar's volume and tone controls. Finally your technique has a huge impact on tone as well.

That said, if none of the above get you where you want to be tone-wise feel free to swap components. It is your guitar after all.

• Members

for what it's worth...

very few people care that Stills and Townsend are playing Telecasters that are modded or unmodded. fewer still care about ralph onion's guitars... Just a few geeks on a discussion forum, actually.

now, the songs?

a LOT of people know and love those songs, right?

Archived