The Joys of Being a Parent

artiem

• Members

in all honesty. dont {censored}ing bother with braces until :

a) all of the adult teeth are grown in

b) all wisdom teeth are either REMOVED, or confirmed that they will grow in properly.

my parents spent all of this god damn money on braces, i got them off at the age of 15 or 16, and by the age of 17 my retainer was bent and {censored}ed up and my teeth were jacked up again because of wisdom teeth.

don't waste your money if those two things have not happened yet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it normal in the US for parents to save up for their kids' educations? That doesn't seem to happen much here... We're all on our own!

Shame about the braces, though! I love kids and all, but I'm kinda glad I don't have any yet :cop:

• Members

to the OP, guitars/possessions will come and go- taking care of your loved ones is the most important thing period.

Thanks, this sums it up. And thanks to the rest of you who helped me with my perspective...always good to hear from others in the same situation, even if we're all anonymous.

Now that my little spell of self-pity is over, I'll just have to get on and be content with my collection of mostly-cheap guitars.

• Members

Just got back from the orthodontist where we discussed the tab for my daughter's braces work.
:eek:
I could buy my dream guitar (Gibson LP '58 reissue) with what this is going to cost me.

Figured I'd come here to HCEG and commiserate, since the wife is being non-sympathetic right now. So where's the bar? I need a drink.

Kids: It's why I now play a Squier and no longer a Fender :cry:

• Members

I feel your pain... am there, doing it.

Just tell your kid that teeth are way over rated. You can get them pulled out and replaced with dentures for about the same money, then they will alway be perfect. (J/K)

I had lived that same thing several years ago. I did a gear purge to fund my dream rig.. 1/2 went to kids teeth and college.

• Members

Move to England. Most you'd pay for National Health Service dental treatment would be about the price of a low-end Epiphone.

Sorry - I know that's probably not an option you're considering
:evil::lol:

That, and we don't care about crooked teeth; you'd blend right in :wave:

• Members

I've always enjoyed being a NON-parent...particularly when I hear a story about how someone's kid did something terrible/stupid or whatever. Times like this that cost big money? Yeah those too I guess but at least the kid didn't do something terrible or stupid right?

• Members

Is it normal in the US for parents to save up for their kids' educations? That doesn't seem to happen much here... We're all on our own!

Shame about the braces, though! I love kids and all, but I'm kinda glad I don't have any yet
:cop:

In the US, post-secondary can easily top $35k/year at a private school.

• Members

In the US, post-secondary can easily top $35k/year at a private school.

Even public universities are expensive anymore. I could buy a new Gibby, boutique tube amp, and several pedals every semester, and still have money leftover compared to tuition/room & board.

• Members

After reading this all I can say is God bless all of you who are responsible parents. There are things more important than the next guitar...like your kids' health and welfare.

As non-parents by choice, my wife and I have not had to make the kinds of decisions you parents do everyday. Just wanted you to know that I appreciate your efforts, and so will society as a whole when your kids grow up. :thu:

• Members

Even public universities are expensive anymore. I could buy a new Gibby, boutique tube amp, and several pedals every semester, and still have money leftover compared to tuition/room & board.

Oh yeah, for a recent nephew, it was ap. $15k for his one year at a State school before he dropped out.

• Members

Just got back from the orthodontist where we discussed the tab for my daughter's braces work.
I could buy my dream guitar (Gibson LP '58 reissue) with what this is going to cost me.

Figured I'd come here to HCEG and commiserate, since the wife is being non-sympathetic right now. So where's the bar? I need a drink.

Right there with you, brother! My baby boy will be 5 yrs old the 24th of March. I hear it never ends, LOL...

Also: "Is this your homework, Larry? Is this your homework, Larry?" LOL

• Members

I pay about $10k a year to put myself through University. It's a bitch, but I survive and have plenty of rad gear. Too much, really.

I wish my parents had put some away for me, but it just wasn't in the cards for them (some years I make more than they do, after all). I feel pretty bad for you guys putting your kids through at $30k a year.

• Members
our first baby is due in 5 weeks... it's already started... by wife is wanting one of those fancy smancy births... you know... like in a hospital and stuff... and here i am without a hollowbody guitar for my jazz tones... life's just not fair i tell ya

It's all about timing. I bought my Les Paul three days before the baby was born. *whew*

Archived