G&L Buffs - your expertise appreciated

theGhost

• Members

I have a Legacy Tribute, and I am thinking about changing the pickup covers and knobs to white. Although I've never done this before, I figure it can't be quite hard. This is the first strat I've owned, so I've never taken off the pickguard to see what's what in there.

Would a replacement set something like this work for my guitar? Is there anything I need to be aware of when it comes to changing pickup covers and knobs - any compatibility issues that for either the covers or the volume/tone knobs that would prevent an easy exchange?

I know I can buy covers/knobs from the G&L website, but if I can get them for cheaper somewhere else then I will, right?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

I have a couple of Tributes, and have considered the same thing. The problem is the supply of G&L specific stuff is pretty limited. From what I can find out virtually no Fender parts or cosmetics will interchange. Knobs are pretty generic as long as they fit the pot shafts, but the pg will need to be G&L specific I think. Since you have the old one that could be used as a pattern I suppose there's always the possibility of getting one cut locally, if you can get a deal.

edit: There are a couple of ebay suppliers that run G&L pickguards pretty regularly - don't know anything about them.

• Members

ebay is usually your best bet. I probably have a red tortouise guard for s/s/s and a set of black covers floating around. I changed my original gaurd to an aged white one on I found on the bay as I did not like the red brown tortouise shell guard. Having one made from the site G&L recommends can befairly expensive.

• Members

ok, so thanks for the help, but are any of you sure.

just to clarify - I don't wanna change the pickguard. I only wanna change the pickup covers and volume/tone knobs. I would assume that these are pretty generic, but can anyone tell me for certain?

• Members

sweet. I'm pretty sure I can some money by buying the set off of fleabay that I linked. It may only be a couple of bones, but hey - I'll take it.

are you sure the knobs fit without any problems? Those things seem like they could create the biggest problems.

• Members

Umm, I didn't read the OP very well. If you can get covers that fit, the old ones should just drop off after you pull the pickups. Most single coil covers just drop over the pole pieces and are held in place by the pickup mounting screws and springs. I think the only concern might be that the coil wiring in the pup itself is pretty fragile - just don't bang em on anything while they're uncovered.

edit: re last post - there are at least a couple of shaft sizes in common use. IIRC I replaced the pots in my legacy with CTS which use a larger shaft. Just reamed the knobs a little bit and problem solved. Stock Tribute will have small shaft pots I think, so I'd get push-on knobs for small shafts - several parts sites will spec the shaft sizes on their pots/knob pages; I don't remember what they are.

Archived