Your thoughts on stainless steel frets? I know mine...

billybilly

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I only played one really good guitar with Stainless so I need to play more to make sure

BUT- on this one guitar the ability to sustain a note at good volume using finger vibrato was not there.

The very thing that people like- the smoothness, lack of friction would not let me get notes to sustain and "ring" at pitch from the string rubbing on the frets.

John Suhr once told me I was "shaving the frets" when I do this but it's part of the guitar vocabulary of course, possibly more important for blues and legato players. But it definitely gives longer notes more sustain, and sometimes more tone.

Can you guys do this with stainless ?

That was probably just the characteristics of the specific guitar you played. Stainless Steel frets should offer more sustain because they flatten/groove out less thus allowing a smaller contact point which equals less deadening of the string's vibration.

• Members

For me it's a no brainer. Why not get SS frets? Smooth, last longer and really don't cost a heap more. I have heard the argument that they are harder to work on but they don't need work. Why have your frets wearing out? I just don't get it...? All guitars over 400 should come standard with them, IMO.

The best reason for me is that the guitar I want doesn't have them!

All in all the frets are pretty much the most reliable component on a guitar whether they're SS or not! I've only had one guitar refretted (after about 7 years of heavy use) and that had narrow vintage style wire.

In an ideal world all guitars would have SS frets, but it's one of the least important considerations for me.

• Members
Probably removed one set that were badly done and has never done any himself:lol:

He said several IIRC..

I'm going to go with SS for the refret of my MIM strat (yes I know but I love the neck on that guitar). I believe I am (or was) heavy handed so I have pretty significant wear on that guitar after 6 years of steady playing. And I see wear (though much less) on my other 2 electrics. Doing it first on the strat will help decide when it is time to do the other 2 if they should be SS or not. It's expensive here but the difference between SS and nickel isn't huge with one guy so we'll see

I got to get around to doing it soon...those frets aren't getting less worn :eek:

• Members

I can see going stainless if you're getting a new neck from, say, Whoremouth or USACG. Upcharge is I think $40. Having a re-fret done with ss may be steep. And, IMO not worth it. Frets do last a long time.

Archived