Your thoughts on stainless steel frets? I know mine...

billybilly

• Members

For me it's a no brainer. Why not get SS frets? Smooth, last longer and really don't cost a heap more. I have heard the argument that they are harder to work on but they don't need work. Why have your frets wearing out? I just don't get it...? All guitars over 400 should come standard with them, IMO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the SS frets on the few guitars I have with them.

I wouldn't say that I won't buy a guitar if it doesn't have SS frets, but if one of my N/S frets needs a fretjob, I can't imagine not going with SS.

• Members

For me it's a no brainer. Why not get SS frets? Smooth, last longer and really don't cost a heap more. I have heard the argument that they are harder to work on but they don't need work. Why have your frets wearing out? I just don't get it...? All guitars over 400 should come standard with them, IMO.

We've gone all stainless and I'm glad BUT .... It's a LOT more work for the builder. I'm not sure that the economics work on a $400 guitar.

• Members

If I ever wear out any of my frets, I will def. replace with SS frets. However my '63 Gretsch still has many years of play time on them. They get dressed and crowned as needed. I rotate my guitars enough not to wear out frets. Not gigging right now, anyway.

• Members

I refret guitars. SS frets are harder to install. You need to get them perfectly radiused prior to install and level when installing. Leveling imperfections requires diamond files to take them down level and crown. Installation takes longer so it costs more to install them. Standard frets can be pounded in and minor differences in the radius wont cause fret lifting. They are relatively simple to level and crown/polish too.

Sound wise, theres a small difference in tone. You may not notice it on a rosewood board as you might on a maple. Regular softer metal frets do sound a bit darker for fretted notes but nothing thats going to be that noticable, especially with guitar effects going.

• Members

Have you actually played a guitar with SS frets
, or are you just basing that on what you've read on the internet?

SS frets feel exactly like freshly polished nickel/silver frets.

If there is a difference in sound, I haven't heard it.

Yes I have.

Not to me.

I have.

I

• Members

+ 10,000

Getting my main axe refretted with SS is the single greatest "guitar mod" I've ever done.

• Members

I have heard that some people don't like them and a luthier I spoke too says he removes more SS frets than he installs. I'm not sure why he would say that unless it is true since his comments are he will do whatever the customer wants

• Members

Says no to SS frets. Regular qaulity frets have plenty long lifespan even on bass whose roundwound strings would wear on frets more then guitar strings can. Agrees with WRGKMC about them being harder to install ideally. In most real world cases, one would not replace all the frets on their instrument, just the very few worn ones. Is silly & detrimental to not use same fret material as the rest of the frets on the instrument imo.

• Members

I've never played SS frets. But I prefer 6130's which are low & wide. These last a long time as it is. And, with a bolt guitar I can't see having a refret done when a new custom made neck costs about the same. I've done 2 refrets now and, with N/S, it isn't all that hard. Just curious, are you gonna have frets that last so long that you have a finger scalloped fretboard? Just seems like the fretboard would wear out before the frets.

• Members

I've never played SS frets. But I prefer 6130's which are low & wide. These last a long time as it is. And, with a bolt guitar I can't see
having
a refret done when a new custom made neck costs about the same. I've done 2 refrets now and, with N/S, it isn't all that hard. Just curious, are you gonna have frets that last so long that you have a finger scalloped fretboard? Just seems like the fretboard would wear out before the frets.

For me, it's not about the frets wearing out as much as the incredibly smooth feel. It feels like fresh mirror polished frets ALL THE TIME. The lack of wear is a huge selling point but, I bend a lot and the feel is more than worth it, IMO.

Archived