Thinking about going Line 6

Bun-Bun

• Members

Well I played with them agian tonight... MKII wins hands down over the HD150. No contest. HD150 looks cheap, feels cheap, smells cheap, and playing through it feels... lifeless. MKII looks awesome, feels like a real amp (better materials etc.) has many more connection options including balanced direct out and midi, and sounds so much sweeter. Pick attack is like my Traynor as well as the nice warm bottom end, not thin at all like the HD150.

This tied with the software support (have to buy a FBV pedal or a midi controller though...) make the MKII a clear winner for me. Again if I had more money and was actually performing I might be more inclined to get a FDRR and a Dual Rec or something similar. But im poor and living in my parents basement till I can afford to move out again.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

have you even tried the vox VT amps?

Nope. No place in the city carries them. Would have to special order. And I really dont have room for another combo amp (if I did... honestly id probably be looking for a used FDRR...)

• Members
Well I played with them agian tonight... MKII wins hands down over the HD150. No contest. HD150 looks cheap, feels cheap, smells cheap, and playing through it feels... lifeless. MKII looks awesome, feels like a real amp (better materials etc.) has many more connection options including balanced direct out and midi, and sounds so much sweeter. Pick attack is like my Traynor as well as the nice warm bottom end, not thin at all like the HD150.

This tied with the software support (have to buy a FBV pedal or a midi controller though...) make the MKII a clear winner for me. Again if I had more money and was actually performing I might be more inclined to get a FDRR and a Dual Rec or something similar. But im poor and living in my parents basement till I can afford to move out again.

The FBV pedalboard IS a nice feature...:)

• Members

no head for Flex... Vetta too much $$$ (rather get a Dual Rec or Trilogy for that) HD147 hmm... definitly take that over the HD150 that's for sure but again getting up there in price again...

I also think I want to stick with line 6 due to there software support. New effects plus new software packages offered for free... can't beat that.

In the used market I see Vettas around $600 quite often same with HD147's.

I see a head variant is preferred and the Flex 3's sadly dont have one.

Another good Line6 amp is the Duoverb head its has 16 of the Vetta I models and has the ability too run 2 amps at once.

These go for around $400 when they surface. No effects though.

The older Flextone heads can be beasts as well and can be had under $400 often as well.

If you are going new I suppose the Spyder Valve would be my first choice and the Shortboard is a must have as well too open up all of the functions.

• Members
In the used market I see Vettas around $600 quite often same with HD147's.

I see a head variant is preferred and the Flex 3's sadly dont have one.

Another good Line6 amp is the Duoverb head its has 16 of the Vetta I models and has the ability too run 2 amps at once.

These go for around $400 when they surface. No effects though.

The older Flextone heads can be beasts as well and can be had under $400 often as well.

If you are going new I suppose the Spyder Valve would be my first choice and the Shortboard is a must have as well too open up all of the functions.

The Duoverb is not for heavy stuff though - it's meant to be a boutique amp in the style of a Fender twin, Matchless, etc. I had a Duoverb for a couple of years, you can't get anything heavy out of it. But it is a cool amp for its intended purpose.

I seem to have owned almost everything Line 6 has ever put out - I've never had anything break on me. But we gotta be realistic here. If you want a thick tube metal tone, just buy the real thing. I'm glad the OP actually rented the amps. What a great way to test out the options. Now go rent a Mark III or a Tremoverb :thu:

• Members

I never buy ANY muscial instrument without renting it first now. Both those amps for a week cost me $50 CAD and if I buy one (or buy anything similar really...) 60% of that goes towards the purchase.

I love Long & McQuade.

But we gotta be realistic here. If you want a thick tube metal tone, just buy the real thing.

See I dont know that I really like the tube tone everyone talks about. I like my distortion tight, and crisp when chugging yet liquidy when soloing. I liked the sound from the HD150 (its going back today btw...) but it felt... lifeless when soloing or playing clean.

Though I love the blackface clean tone. the MKII comes pretty close (hell of a lot closer then my Traynor...) but nothing beats a FDRR... I will buy one...eventually...

• Members

Just read something else about the HD150. It HAS to be used with a stereo cab or multiple cabs. Both left and right output jacks must be used or power amp failure can occur.

If I had any doubt before I definitly dont now. HD150 is not worth it.

Archived