Thinking about going Line 6

Bun-Bun

• Members

If I were you, I'd just go for the Vetta.

Seriously, their tube amps are passable. But, you are joking yourself thinking you'll get the actual tube tone. Just jump for the Vetta, which is probably their best amp, imho. (And according to many others.)

If I am going to fork over that kind of cash I would be buying a real dual rec or H&K instead of a modeling amp...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I just looked into it some more (and looked at the links in the post) that first pic is of a variac not an amp or pedal and the second pic is an installation photo of the SV mod from strymon for the first SV. But again I dont see what the big deal is as that looks just like every other amp to me and how you relate that to a $300 desktop from walmart (or what that even implies) is beyond me.

Again I think you just have an axe to grind about line 6. The SV MKII is a 100% true power amp after the modeling/effects and part of the preamp is tubes though it doesn't function in the same way a typical tube preamp would (the Strymon mod for the original SV makes it more like a full tube preamp). And unless you spend obscene amounts of money and get hand wired botique amps, the internals are going to look like the pics above and for what im useing it for I dont need a botique amp nor am I a collector.

If you hate them so much then why do you have one?

• Members

I still think you'd get better tones by sticking a pod in front of the Traynor. At least try it if you can.

My Traynor's cleans sound like poo. Seriously. My nephew's little 5w SS Fender sounds better. Now its distortion on the other hand...

The MKII IMO beats my Traynor except for a few things.

• Members

Line 6 is cool by me. I own an HD147, Vetta upgraded to II specs, and more recently a Spider Valve HD100. I think the Spider Valve just moved the Vetta out of the starting lineup. The Vetta being in the shop might have alot to do with it. Not sure what went wrong but it lost power and is in the shop. But they are all super fun amps with alot of tones.

If you dont like to tweak knobs, they are not for you however. No I take that back. I tend to setem and forgetem. But initialy you will have to spend time setting up your patches.

• Members

Yeah I just looked into it some more (and looked at the links in the post) that first pic is of a variac not an amp or pedal and the second pic is an installation photo of the SV mod from strymon for the first SV. But again I dont see what the big deal is as that looks just like every other amp to me and how you relate that to a $300 desktop from walmart (or what that even implies) is beyond me.

Again I think you just have an axe to grind about line 6. The SV MKII is a 100% true power amp after the modeling/effects and part of the preamp is tubes though it doesn't function in the same way a typical tube preamp would (the Strymon mod for the original SV makes it more like a full tube preamp). And unless you spend obscene amounts of money and get hand wired botique amps, the internals are going to look like the pics above and for what im useing it for I dont need a botique amp nor am I a collector.

If you hate them so much then why do you have one?

I have one for reasons that (I presume) differ greatly from why you're thinking of buying one: I have one to fill a 9-week gap and then I dispose of it. It's true that I have plenty of $ to spend on things -- the amps I am interested in (and own) start at about 2K and go right on up from there. But I was also a broke college student at one time. I did buy my share of cheap junk but learned (the hard way) to be patient and use the money I would have wasted on junk and put it toward the good stuff.

After my first L6 amp went up in smoke (when I was still in college) I could have repeated the first mistake and gotten something else in that price range but instead I gigged with an even crappier backup amp until I could spring for a Bogner. But this might be like trying to convince a McDonalds junkie that the Big Mac isn't actually good food.

Anyway, I don't care what you get or how you spend your money. Good luck.

• Members

^^^classic internet flame troll is classic.

OP - another option would be to route a power amp into your cabs and use the modeler out front as others have suggested.

YMMV, but you'll get a better response from the modeler using SS power as opposed to tubes. SpiderValve is good stuff, but the POD units are better when backed into a real cab w/ the sims turned off.

just my .02

• Members

Anyone use a keyboard amp with thier modelers?

It's a very good idea. Keyboard/bass/acoustic amps are full range amps that don't boost certain frequencies the way that guitar amps do. Since the modeler is creating the characteristics of the amp it is modeling, all you need to do from that point on is amplify it. In fairness, most modelers will have settings that will try to compensate when you are running into the front of a guitar amp, but often they don't get used.

• Members

Seriously dude, I think you are barking up the tree because you don't seem to be very happy with what you have tried and yet you still are going down L6 path. I had the Traynor you have and didn't really like it all that much either. Got a ycs50 and it is a lot better. Extremely versatile, without the digital b.s.. And, built like a tank. I've seen them like new on ebay for as little as $600 bucks.

Also like the Valvetronix a fair bit, for the money.

• Members

I have one for reasons that (I presume) differ greatly from why you're thinking of buying one: I have one to fill a 9-week gap and then I dispose of it. It's true that I have plenty of $ to spend on things -- the amps I am interested in (and own) start at about 2K and go right on up from there. But I was also a broke college student at one time. I did buy my share of cheap junk but learned (the hard way) to be patient and use the money I would have wasted on junk and put it toward the good stuff.

After my first L6 amp went up in smoke (when I was still in college) I could have repeated the first mistake and gotten something else in that price range but instead I gigged with an even crappier backup amp until I could spring for a Bogner. But this might be like trying to convince a McDonalds junkie that the Big Mac isn't actually good food.

Anyway, I don't care what you get or how you spend your money. Good luck.

If I was performing I would save up and get a more proven amp. However I am sitting in my basement where the amp will probably move a couple times a year.

However given your narrow spectrum of experience with Line 6 (esspecially the SV) then I am supposed to take your experience as a standard by which every line 6 that has been made? This is a common thing among internet forums, Company A gets bashed and Company B gets bashed because all people see online is those who complain while those who dont have any problems (and usually out numbers those that are by mangnitudes) enjoy there product instead of coming onto internet forums.

• Members
My Traynor's cleans sound like poo. Seriously. My nephew's little 5w SS Fender sounds better. Now its distortion on the other hand...

The MKII IMO beats my Traynor except for a few things.

You keep repeating that. Yes, I understand you do not like the cleans on your Traynor.

What I am saying is that you may like them better with a Pod in front. You may also find that you like the metal sounds you get even if you do not like the stand alone cleans. And you can use the unit with other amps, for recording, etc. You can even get a slave amp lie the Atomic that WP is suggesting.

You can return it if you don't like it and it would cost you nothing. But, why bother trying it?

:facepalm:

• Members
I suspect you'll regret buying either amp. Bail out before you sink any $ into this.

I have a Spider IV right now and it sounds like ass -- more dissatisfying every day. Computer editing the sounds is just a more amazing way to discover the crap coming out of the speaker.

And the 'artist' presets are mostly a joke.

Seriously, my old PodXt is somewhat useful. Their new line of amps are just terrible.

You know what's in a Line 6 amp? This (see photo) + a budget transformer + speaker + particle board cab

300chassis_apart1.jpg

nifty layout but this stuff is basically made like a $299 Walmart desktop (+ marketing-friendly tube)

SV-Pre-Cable-Direction.jpg

pretty good software

Amazing marketing

junk hardware

If you think that first pic came from an AMP you are RETARDED:facepalm: It clearly came out of a guitar like a variax or something. I've never seen an amp with a selector switch like that. They must not build them too bad, I had a Spider II that I gigged with for two years and I now have a Spider Valve going on two years with ZERO problems. Some people just cant or really dont want to spend $2G for an amp, I say if you can get good tones from a cheap Line 6 then ROCK ON!:rawk:

• Members

I tried a Spider Valve MKI a while back. I have a XTLive (used straight to PA, in front of amps, in the power amp only) had a Flextone3, used a Flextone 2. I thought The spider Valve was easily the best sounding with the least amount of tweaking to me. It also had the screen die the second time I turned it on...right out of the box. Goodbye....

I have a Vox Valvetronix, and an H&K Switchblade which both sound much better than the Line 6 stuff to me. Switchblade used to be cheaper and a good deal, but have gotten expensive. The Vox stuff is cheaper, but lacks all the software programability and preset saving. I'd look at the Vox stuff...

• Members
I tried a Spider Valve MKI a while back. I have a XTLive (used straight to PA, in front of amps, in the power amp only) had a Flextone3, used a Flextone 2. I thought The spider Valve was easily the best sounding with the least amount of tweaking to me. It also had the screen die the second time I turned it on...right out of the box. Goodbye....

I have a Vox Valvetronix, and an H&K Switchblade which both sound much better than the Line 6 stuff to me. Switchblade used to be cheaper and a good deal, but have gotten expensive. The Vox stuff is cheaper, but lacks all the software programability and preset saving. I'd look at the Vox stuff...

I want your triamp :p

• Members

I'm gonna disagree on the Flextone sounding better than the Spider Valve series. I had a Flextone, and they sound very good a low volume, but when you crank them they lose their "tubeiness", IMO. The Spider Valve serious are awesome. I'd go that route...or a Vox Valvetronix...

• Members

For home/ basement and you allready like line 6?

As mentioned a used Vetta or Flex III or a new X3 live going through your amps loop or out front and an extension cab for stereo goodness could be ideal.

The Spyder Valves are cool but IMo the HD147,Vetta and Flex III's can do just as well. Using the stereo ext cab options with a Flex or Vetta in my experiece ads a lot more volume and depth for when more volume becomes needed.

• Members

no head for Flex... Vetta too much $$$ (rather get a Dual Rec or Trilogy for that) HD147 hmm... definitly take that over the HD150 that's for sure but again getting up there in price again...

I also think I want to stick with line 6 due to there software support. New effects plus new software packages offered for free... can't beat that.

Archived