Squier MIM ?

thecornman

• Members

There is a MIM Squier Strat being listed on a local buy and sell site. All I can really see by the crappy picture is it says Squier on the headstock and that it is red with a Rosewood fretboard. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Squiers that were built in Mexico? What body wood was used and how were the necks? Pickups and hardware I could care less about, because I would mod it anyways. Thanks.

• Members

in my experience the MIM squire strats had plywood body, not the ultra cheap 500 layers of wood ply, but the 3 or 4 layer deep ply. i have heard that some of them were not ply wood but the ones i had were.

I had heard that they were made with popular, but they may have just been made with what ever was laying around?

• Members

I have a mid '90's MIM Squier that I love.

squier_95_001.jpg

IMO it is a great guitar. Is it an MIA Strat? No, but if you can purchase it for a decent price, go for it.

The only down side that I see are the tuners. I've looking to replace mine but I need to find out exactly what will fit without drilling holes.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure mine is poplar, though it doesn't matter.

• Members

I've had two of them and neither were plywood.

In my experience and in my opinion, the necks and bodies are probably the same thing that went into the MIM non-Squier Fenders of 1994 and 1995, but everything else was cheaper on the Squiers. Still, not horrible.

The most recent one I had was actually a great player. I wasn't planning on keeping it so I didn't change the pickups, but I enjoyed my time with it.

:idk:

• Members

There where Squier strats made in Mexico and then (as pictured above) Squier Series Fender strats made in Mexico. The Squier Series Fender strats had poplar bodies (indentical to MIM Standard Fender strat bodies), MIM standard necks, MIM standard pups and trems....with the exception of the saddles. Tuners, pots, switch and saddles where cheaper Squier stuff. The Squier strats made in Mexico I don't know a lot about except they where short lived (production moved to China).

• Members

in my experience the MIM squire strats had plywood body, not the ultra cheap 500 layers of wood ply, but the 3 or 4 layer deep ply. i have heard that some of them were not ply wood but the ones i had were.

None of the Squier series from Mexico had ply bodies..

• Members

I've had two of them and neither were plywood.

In my experience and in my opinion, the necks and bodies are probably the same thing that went into the MIM non-Squier Fenders of 1994 and 1995, but everything else was cheaper on the Squiers. Still, not horrible.

The most recent one I had was actually a great player. I wasn't planning on keeping it so I didn't change the pickups, but I enjoyed my time with it.

:idk:

That is how I understand the story. I had a 94 and it was a great player.

• Members

Just a few months ago I bought a MIM Squier Strat neck to replace on the Bullet I was modding. So I don't have a complete MIM Squier guitar, but I have experience with the neck.

Mine is the model that says Squier - Made in Mexico. Not the Fender Squier Series that was posted above.

The neck is very good. It's easy to play, comfortable, and the fretwork is good. Switching back and forth between my MIM Fender Std. Strat and the MIM Squier, I don't feel too much of a difference. The MIM Squier neck is that good. Easily comparable to a Fender IMHO.

But I don't know anything about the whole guitar or what wood it's made of. From what I found out, MIM Squiers were built in the same Mexican factory as MIM Fenders, just for a short time, until production was moved to Asia.

If it's a good price, go for it.

Archived