If Eddie Van halen was never born, who would be the next Van Halen?

Fusion1

• Members

That's exactly my feeling about Rhoads. His tone was fairly crappy (except for the Tribute/Live Album). Don't get me wrong, he was a badass but VH had way better studio tone and his rhythm playing was/is some of the best.

The studio version of Crazy Train is TERRIBLE.

I guess I'm in the minority but I actually liked his tone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone mentioned Vai yet? I guess it would've depended on what kind of band he would've ended up in, or if he would've taken the same career path as he did.

But yeah, I don't think anyone really could've taken EVH's place in history, everything just clicked for him.

• Members

Randy Rhoads. Even if he played as a famous guy for a short time, he inspired a lot of guitarrists and still does today. I prefer his playing to EVH. More feeling, better sound, and more skill cuz of the classical music and his influences mixing altogether. Hear Mr. Crowley, I Don't Know, and Goodbye To Romance so you will know.

This - Randy would have been the biggest guitarist on the planet.

• Members

Anyone mentioned Vai yet? I guess it would've depended on what kind of band he would've ended up in, or if he would've taken the same career path as he did.

I thought about mentioning Vai. He's an interesting guy in this discussion because while he was influenced by EVH's style and flash techniques, his playing comes from a lot of different places, plus he's a pretty original cat on his own. I can still see Vai becoming a virtuoso even if EVH was out of the picture.

It could be argued that Vai has been tied too closely with EVH at times, especially in the 80s, so I think Vai would have benefitted if EVH wasn't in the picture.

Vai is such a pure technician, though, that I'm not sure he would have seen the kind of wild success EVH had when he went supernova. Vai doesn't have the same songwriting skills, rhythm playing, and feel for the music that EVH did, so I think Vai would still be a niche performer, not unlike Al Di Meola.

Archived