GFS Neovins. Any good?

_pete_

• Members

I'm thinking about slapping some parts together that I have lying around.

I can piece together an SSS Strat pretty easily with what I have but I want to keep it:

A. Cheap

B. Noiseless

C. Good sounding

I'm thinking of the lowest output Neovin set with the preamp/booster thingy to fatten it up as needed.

Who here has tried them? Are they decent?

• Members

I bought a set but one arrived dead so I sent the whole set back and bought Dimarzio Area 61's. The thing that turns me off about the Neovins is that they need to be very close to the strings. I also tryed the compressor Modboard and it had kind of a high pitched whine so I returned it. As usual Jay was more than forthcoming with the return.

I do have a set of Vintage Alnico Staggers (the cheaper ones) and they are very nice. If I was doing a partscaster I would put the Vintage Alnicos in the neck and mid and a splittable (noiseless) Lil Killer in the bridge. Who plays on a standard strat in the bridge position anyways LOL?

• Members

If I was doing a partscaster I would put the Vintage Alnicos in the neck and mid and a splittable (noiseless) Lil Killer in the bridge. Who plays on a standard strat in the bridge position anyways LOL?

hmm..that sounds like a pretty good combo..:thu:

• Members

I have a neovin 9 in the neck position on my main strat, and I love it. Sounds great, and no hum. The price makes it even better.

I have a lil killer in the bridge, and I never use the middle.....this is why I only have the one neovin.

• Members

The Area 61's are too pricey for what I want to do with this one.

The best Strat setup I ever used was 3 EMG SA's with the EMG presence control. They sounded very Stratty but could do a humbucker tone with a twist of the knob. That's what I want here but on the cheap.

I'll look for those L200's in the Spam thread (I wish the search worked) but for the $$$, $90 for 3 Neovins may be hard to beat.

I'd just like to know more about how they sound.

• Members

Who plays on a standard strat in the bridge position anyways LOL?

:wave:

I suppose you can't call my Partscaster a "standard Strat," though, given that it has only a single tone control and has non-staggered Wilkinson Hot Vintage single-coils (wound to 8k).

I know of at least one guy with a much more traditional Strat who used his bridge pickup on its own all the time, though:

ritchie-blackmore-3.jpg

• Members

Just for the record, I've got a set a Neovins (Tex-Mex or somesuch) and they're drop-dead beautiful - clear as a bell, nicely balanced, very responsive. I'm super happy with them.

Enjoy your BLs though, hard to go wrong there!

Archived