Pink Floyd win EMI court battle over online sales

• Members

They are dead (albums), because there are no New..Great baands anymore, just pop sell the {censored} outta this single and forget about them 2 monthes from now. Many new groups do NOT have that lasting power, so yeah, don't need an album, just buy the onew track on line and forget about them a few weeks down the road. Good bands today don't get a chance, because they dont generate BIG $ quick cash that big labels want. PF should fight for "an art form that doesn't exist", becasue for great bands like Floyd, Led Zep, Sabbath, and a few more, STILL sell today. Have you seen that Floyds DSOM is the one of the top 3 selling albums of all time, still selling today...in Album format! So no, not over or dead.

They're fighting for an art form that largely doesn't exist any more.

Albums are dead, get over it.

• Members

I think they're entitled to have influence over the way their music is presented, as it was meant to be listened to in context. Floyd albums are about a whole not itty bitty parts

yeah, but not everyone has tghe time to listen to an entire pink floyd album every time they want to get a fix.

i dont really remember anyone from the Pink Floyd camp complaining that raadio stations throughout the years mostly only played singles and rarely if ever played entire albums "as they were meant to be played"

• Members

i dont really remember anyone from the Pink Floyd camp complaining that raadio stations throughout the years mostly only played singles and rarely if ever played entire albums "as they were meant to be played"

Moot.

Remember that this ruling is not about whether all of their catalog be presented one song at a time across all mediums. It's about whether they have the right to dictate how their music is sold online. And they won that right.

Hey, I personally think it's a mistake to only sell complete albums online. But that's not what the court case was about. And in the end, I agree that they deserve the right to have a say on how their music is sold online, whether they do it wisely or not.

• Members

Moot.

Remember that this ruling is not about whether all of their catalog be presented one song at a time across all mediums. It's about
whether they have the right to dictate how their music is sold online
. And they won that right.

Hey, I personally think it's a mistake to only sell complete albums online. But that's not what the court case was about. And in the end, I agree that they deserve the right to have a say on how their music is sold online, whether they do it wisely or not.

NOT moot.

I am not speaking to the original arguement.

I was replying to a statement Ratae made about the whole point of listening to Pink Floyd's music, according to Pink Floyd, was to listen to each album in its entirety. It was a seperate discussion in the middle of the original discussion. This is how forums work. someone presents a topic, and then all sorts of discussions spawn out of it. Not every discussion stays exactly on topic with no variation and broadening of scope. Ratae took a slight turn off the path, and I followed him. So, my reply, to HIM, was relevent based on the statement of his, that I was replying to.

• Members

NOT moot.

I am not speaking to the original arguement.

I was replying to a statement Ratae made about the whole point of listening to Pink Floyd's music, according to Pink Floyd, was to listen to each album in its entirety. It was a seperate discussion in the middle of the original discussion. This is how forums work. someone presents a topic, and then all sorts of discussions spawn out of it. Not every discussion stays exactly on topic with no variation and broadening of scope. Ratae took a slight turn off the path, and I followed him. So, my reply, to HIM, was relevent based on the statement of his, that I was replying to.

And Ratae was replying to vncyls, who was replying to ratae who's post was a response to the the first three or four posts in response to his OP.......

Isn't discussion what we're all here for? Or am I in the wrong room?

I'm sorry my post ruffled your feathers. Not the intent. :)

• Members

it's pink floyd's music... not the fan's

even if we think they're shooting themselves in the foot for not allowing single track downlaods... it's their decision to make

today it can be hard to think of it this way... but music is an form of art

good on 'em :thu:

Archived