tungoil or oil/wax finish on ash? exsamples? recommendations?

StompBoxLover

• Members

hi.

I'll get a nice ash body soon and been wondering if and how I should put a finish on it. I like the the Washburn N4 looks and wouldn't mind if the wood gets dirty after a while. (yes, I know the first to pictures are alder)

Please post pictures of your tungoil or oil/wax finish guitars and necks, feel free to point out any advantages/disadvantaged etc.

thanks!

• Moderators

Tung on it's own I wouldn't use, use a gunstock oil like either Tru Oil or London Gunstock Oil by Napiers, if it ain't available in Germany let me know and I'll get you some.

It's brilliant on ash, it gives a very light colouration at first and ages very nicely, it has really no drawback and over the years hardens to a very durable finish

Both the body and neck are done in Tru Oil on this one, and the colour is very representative of it's ageing

swampy1-1.jpg

This is it when it arrived

homageocaster.jpg

• Members

It's brilliant on ash, it gives a very light colouration at first and ages very nicely, it has really no drawback and over the years hardens to a very durable finish

Both the body and neck are done in Tru Oil on this one, and the colour is very representative of it's ageing

swampy1-1.jpg

beautiful, this is what I'm looking for!

thank you!

• Members

020-2.jpg

019-3.jpg

SS850437.jpg

SS850434.jpg

SS850441.jpg

Necks finished with tru-oil.

I use a foam brush to apply it evenly and sand it smooth between every few layers.

The more coats you put on, the more golden vintagy yelloy honey colored it gets.

It dries hard as a brick so you can sand, buff and polish it out to any level of satin or high ultra high gloss finish you like.

Tru oul is fantastic stuff.

• Members

What about maple fretboards? I have a maple/maple neck on the way that I plan to tru-oil. I got the tru oil through ebay.co.uk was something like 9 pounds for the bottle + 4 pounds shipping. I need some lemon oil to finish it still (supposedly fingerprints don't show then)

• Members

What about maple fretboards? I have a maple/maple neck on the way that I plan to tru-oil. I got the tru oil through ebay.co.uk was something like 9 pounds for the bottle + 4 pounds shipping. I need some lemon oil to finish it still (supposedly fingerprints don't show then)

the reverse side of what I posted earlier. just put the coats on real thin and you shouldn't have a problem with it building up at the frets.

DSCN5032.jpg

• Members

I did some more tung oil today over the headstock and a smigid on the back of the neck. I am getting a good build up around the decal. I may be moving away from stickers and moving toward inlays but I thought this was relevant. This decal is kinda messed up, but I don't have anymore of those and don't care that much for this one.:idk:

That body is the beez kneez...if you don't like it, I will gladly pay you Tuesday...

012-9.jpg

013-7.jpg

• Members

I redid a set of maple cabinets with Tung Oil which, other than taking FOREVER, turned out great! Really shocking actually.

I also redid a Enfield rifle with Tung Oil and it was beautiful. I have some pics on a CD somewhere... I'll try to dig them out and post them here.

I redid this Ibanez with Tru Oil. I hurried through it and only did 3 coats, lightly sanding after the first coat, then using steel wool after the second and third coat. This is mahogany of course:

Stripped:

DSC_3731a1crop.jpg

One coat of Tru Oil:

DSC_4093a1.jpg

Three coats of Tru Oil:

DSC_4153a1.jpg

And this is an Ash Allparts body with a thin coat of walnut stain (to make the grain pop) and five coats of clear nitro with no tint.

DSC_3742a1.jpg

Archived