man it sucks to realize your playing is complete crap

CarmenJuandeago

• Members

You just need to keep playing and not psyche yourself out. Enjoy the journey and try not to beat yourself up too much. I have always been my own worst critic even after hearing a recording of myself playing "Little Wing" and I got all jealous, then when I inquired as to who the guitar player was. The guy playing the recording told me "It's you playing you goofball"

• Members

That's funny that dilldorrow above mentioned that above "cuz I was going to say that taping/recording lots of your performances can be inspiring because when you play some things back later, you'll often be surprised and find that you actually LIKE some of your playing or at least parts of it. You can gradually expand on this.

Years ago when I was really woodshedding and practicing a lot and recording lots of stuff I noticed parts that DIDN"T sound like me(in a good way) , I'd be like" that was pretty cool what he did there"( except HE was ME ).

Another thing that can really help is the NFL "Any Given Sunday " rule- where if you're pretty serious about your playing you can get to the point where you can honestly say to yourself " I KNOW I'm not as good as____________ but at any given time I MIGHT play as well as him for one solo, or one song etc. especially if you've heard yourself do it on tape/recordings. This can REALLY help the little " I suck" gremlins in your head.., and free you up to go for it.

• Members

My guitar teacher is trying to get me to palm mute the bottom strings when doing solos but it is such a pain in the ass. I'd rather just try to pick cleaner and not worry about it so much. He also wants me to use thumbover chords and stop using my pinky so much. I'm starting to think his style isn't the direction I am really interested in going in. I want him to help me be a better guitar player (which I'm very interested in) but it seems like instead he is trying to get me to play just like him (which I'm not very interested in).

• Members
I dont believe this. This sounds like an urban legand and is not logical because pianos dont just up and go out of tune perfectly flat one half step down so all you have to do is play sharp and you will be perfectly in tune with the rest of the group. when pianos go out of tune, it is like a guitar out of tune times 1000. The notes and senitones will be all over the map. Simply "playing sharp" will not fix anything.

I would be VERY interested in seeing your reputable resource cited for this anecdote, otherwise I am going to have to continue to call B.S.

Sounds like a great story, but I simply dont believe it ever happened.

Ok Dave :facepalm:

• Members

Hey Eric Foss- well I'm pretty sure most people on here have gone far beyond that Gilbert guy already..................

Just Kidding- real cool to hear him play cleaner like that- he just may have a future in the Music Biz.

Archived