What's the beef with Dimarzio?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, they've made some junk, but they've made so many pickups, they're bound to have some misses.

Seems like some guys look at them as the Crate of the pickup world or something.

Seems like corksniffery to me.

The Super Distortion is my favorite humbucker ever, and I love my Area's.

• Members

Yeah, they've made some junk, but they've made so many pickups, they're bound to have some misses.

Seems like some guys look at them as the Crate of the pickup world or something.

Seriously? Thats news to me. Dimarzios are just as good as anything else out there...

• Members

Ive never really heard any bagging on them that wasnt just an isolated case of blind brand dislike.

Ive owned nearly every mfg's pickups and as with you OP the one I always come back too is the Super D.

I also have a Air Norton neck which easily is on par with any other glassy like tonefull pup out there.

I love my Duncan and Gibson pickups as well.

• Members

I have nothing bad to say about them. Agreed on the SD, it's great both overdriven and clean.

If I were shopping for a vintage sounding pickup however, Gibson then Seymour Duncan would get the first look with DMZ coming in third or fourth behind some of the boutique makers.

That's not to say that they don't produce good versions of those, but I tend not to think about them first.

• Members

I've never heard a bad word about Dimarzio. Many of the worlds top virtuoso guitarists use Dimarzio exclusively.

Personally, i've tried just about all of their popular pickups and they're the best pickup under $100 in my book. When I REALLY wanna go all out (like my last custom), I'll head to Bareknuckle...but for all my other guitars Dimarzio does just fine.

• Members

DiMarzio makes great pickups. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about them beyond personal preference type stuff. I will say the newer SDs don't seem to be quite the same as the earler ones, but that's as close as I can come to a complaint. They still sound sweet.

• Members

The Super Distortion is my favorite humbucker ever, and I love my Area's.

I've never heard this either. Maybe whatever you drank that turned you green is {censored}ing up your mind.:lol:

I have a Super D on a guitar that was my very first electric and it's one of the most amazing sounding HBs I've ever heard.

• Members

I have nothing bad to say about them. Agreed on the SD, it's great both overdriven and clean.

If I were shopping for a vintage sounding pickup however, Gibson then Seymour Duncan would get the first look with DMZ coming in third or fourth behind some of the boutique makers.

That's not to say that they don't produce good versions of those, but I tend not to think about them first.

^^^:thu: Agreed. I used to use DiMarzio in my guitars when I started out(eventhough I have moved to Duncan,but that doesn't mean I would never use'em again). I think they make great shred pups, IMO. Again, that's not to say that they don't make great vintage sounding pups. I have used the Super Dist., Tone Zone, PAF Pro, Humbucker From Hell, Chopper, Breed, Evolution, and have always been happy with their sound. Nothing but love for DiMarzio here.

• Members

The only bad thing I have heard about Dimarzio is that he sued Kinnman over the noiseless pickups that Kinman invented.

I had never heard that, but I just read up on it. What a {censored}ty, miserable person to do that, using lawsuits and lawyers to {censored} over the competition. Kinman spent many years of trial and error experiments to develop his noiseless pickups. To have DiMarzios corporate attorneys screw him over is a total pisser. I hope Karma bitchslaps the fat cat in the end.

Guest Guest

I've never heard this either. Maybe whatever you drank that turned you green is {censored}ing up your mind.
:lol:

I have a Super D on a guitar that was my very first electric and it's one of the most amazing sounding HBs I've ever heard.

I've heard them trashed on TGP, and, wait for it....our very own Open Jam.

So I guess the saying "Consider the source" applies here.

Yes, green stuff {censored}ed up my mind. But I didn't drink it.:evil:

• Members

Some of us choose our pickups very carefully, match them so they compliment each other and work for the guitar and style we want. We're going to be pretty happy with our choice.

Other people buy a pickup (or amp or speaker...) because someone said "dOOd those totally rule !" and they are going to be unhappy, not understand why, and say that something "blows." :D

I think the Area 58 & 61 are hugely underrated Strat pickups. My A61s are great, and the VV Blues in the middle slot is also very good, though less sweet.

• Members

I had never heard that, but I just read up on it. What a {censored}ty, miserable person to do that, using lawsuits and lawyers to {censored} over the competition. Kinman spent many years of trial and error experiments to develop his noiseless pickups. To have DiMarzios corporate attorneys screw him over is a total pisser. I hope Karma bitchslaps the fat cat in the end.

Yeah, that gave me a bad taste for DiMarzios. I have a set of Kinmans in my Strat and they're great pickups. For Larry DiMarzio to do that to Chris Kinman is incredibly {censored}ty, and really put me off his pickups on general principle.

I also remember being unimpressed when Larry DiMarzio refused to participate in a pickup shootout Guitar Player put together, making some whiny comments about how GP's testing platform wouldn't give their pickups a fair trial. Unfortunately, GP ended up proving that their system was bang-on, which made DiMarzio look even more like a whiny bitch.

• Members

I haven't had too many but the ones that I have had I've sold and put something else in their place. One was a freaky looking thing and the other 2 were ok to nice but just not exactly what I wanted. I just saw some dude a few days ago on another forum who happens to love DiMarzios say that he hates Seymour Duncans but likes this set of Duncan Designed in one of his guitars.

I think he is a boner.

• Members

One weird thing about DiMarzio: They apparently have a trademark on "double cream" coil humbuckers. So, competitors cannot legally make a humbucker with both coils bobbins in cream color. :freak: Double white or black, no problems, "zebra" style that's legal, but you can't make a humbucker with double cream bobbins unless it's a DiMarzio. Even custom pickup winders aren't supposed to make them.

Archived