How to determine a neck's feel by its dimensions?

rxbanditos

• Members

I used to have a jackson the neck was good for me but it was I too tall. IDK the word for it but it was meaning I could hold it easily but the distance from the high e to the low e was to much. I played an Ibanez neck and that was perfect small and thin.

Then I play a schecter neck, a thicker neck, medium height, but kind of limiting for me, can't play as fast.

So my question is how can I determine what a neck will feel like in my hands by reading its dimensions?

What is a radius?

What's a C shape, U shape, xxx shape neck, etc...

What determines the necks thickness (how it fits in my hand)?

What determines how tall a neck is (not the scale)?

• Members

no you have to play them,

C shape is shaped like a C, U is shaped like a U, soft V is like a soft V an hard V is a hard V, asymetrical is asymetrical, and boat is like the bottom of a boat (think smooshed U). Small radius are small than large radius, and tall frets are taller than low frets.

Hope this helps.

• Members
nope. The only true way is to play the guitar.
You can get a general idea by specs
but necks are hand finished sanding and tend to be different from one to the next.

:facepalm:

that's specifically what I wanna be able to do. Of course I know that to actaully get a feel for it I have to try it out but this isn't always an option, BECAUSE OF THIS, how can i get a GENERAL idea?

• Members

no you have to play them,

C shape is shaped like a C, U is shaped like a U, soft V is like a soft V an hard V is a hard V, asymetrical is asymetrical, and boat is like the bottom of a boat (think smooshed U). Small radius are small than large radius, and tall frets are taller than low frets.

Hope this helps.

Now you're just spamming/trolling.

• Members

So if i want a neck thats suited for metal playing (ibanez) what dimensions should I look for?

You can play metal on any guitar and any neck... Just as anyone can play metal, regardless if they are big or little... If you are 4'10" tall and have teeny hands, I wouldn't suggest a jumbo wide baseball bat neck...

• Members

You can play metal on any guitar and any neck... Just as anyone can play metal, regardless if they are big or little... If you are 4'10" tall and have teeny hands, I wouldn't suggest a jumbo wide baseball bat neck...

It's certainly easier on an Ibanez. It's common knowledge that its easier to shred on a thin necked Ibanez than a baseball bat thick Gibson LP.

This is what I'm talking about. What specs in this case would explain this?

• Members

Now you're just spamming/trolling.

you asked what a C shape is. Thats what it is, a neck shaped like the letter C. U shape has morer shoulder than C and C has more than V, a 1" thick C neck will feel thinner than a 1" thick U shape.

You have to try them to see what you like. Sometimes small hands like baseball necks and sometimes big hands like pencil necks. Usually people can play any type of neck, they might prefer one but its not a deal breaker.

Go find a guitar that feels good and then take a piece of solder and mold it around the back of the neck and see what letter it looks like.

• Members

I really like the neck on my SG Classic. I always thought that it is because it will be very thin, since the general idea is that SG necks are thinner than LP necks and SG Classic is sort of modeled after the 70's SG special and PT himself noted how thin necks those had.

Now I checked it online and then measured it too and I could not have been more wrong. The neck is about '58 LP profile, in other words pretty damn thick. About full inch at 12th fret.

• Members

Everything I play is on a Les Paul except when it's an acoustic guitar.

Specs don't mean a whole lot except to manufacturers, because the final finishing details in most cases are still done by hand which makes each one a little different.

Here's what I use the "specs" for, to eliminate guitars that I would not even be interested in picking up.......... once I get a hold of a few with the same specs then I will test them for feel, that's all that matters to me.

• Members

What determines how tall a neck is (not the scale)?

This is called "nut width". 1 5/8" and 1 11/16" are pretty standard but they come in different widths. You have to find what you like. Try out guitars and check the spec sheet.
I like wider necks that don't cramp my fingers playing open chords.

Archived