How LOUD are your practice sessions?

docjeffrey

• Members

I pulled out my db meter today out of curiosity to see what kind of damage I was doing to my hearing. With a Gretsch 6120 through a Fender Tweed Deluxe, sitting 5' from the amp, I wound up the volume to my favorite level.

With my Nady meter, it measured exactly 100db for the loudest passages and 98 db for most of my playing. That was using a Hot Plate attenuator set for -12db. Without the Hot Plate, I'd be in hearing loss hell.

According to OSHA, I can do that for 2 hours per day, however, sustained exposure may result in hearing loss (whatever "sustained" means).

Cool. Rock on. And buy an attenuator or some good ear filters.

Sound Levels of Music

Normal piano practice 60 -70dB

Fortissimo Singer, 3' 70dB

Chamber music, small auditorium 75 - 85dB

Piano Fortissimo 84 - 103dB

Violin 82 - 92dB

Cello 85 -111dB

Oboe 95-112dB

Flute 92 -103dB

Piccolo 90 -106dB

Clarinet 85 - 114dB

French horn 90 - 106dB

Trombone 85 - 114dB

Tympani & bass drum 106dB

Walkman on 5/10 94dB

Symphonic music peak 120 - 137dB

Amplifier rock, 4-6' 120dB

Rock music peak 150dB

• Members

Ours are loud enough that we should be wearing earplugs, but usually don't. Our drummer sometimes does. I usually don't though, because the guitar tone is just too muffled through plugs. In turn, due to my certain hearing damage, our sessions are probably louder each time.

• Members

You mean home practice sessions or band rehearsals?

At home I don't even plug in my solidbody for practice all the time. When I DO plug in, I use a 2w Roland MicroCube.

Our band rehearsals are geared to the acoustic volume of the drums -- and our drummer is VERY FRAKKIN LOUD -- John Bonham reincarnated as a five-foot-tall woman from Noo Joisey.

• Members

I haven't been in a band in two years. Thus, my 'practice' sessions usually involve plugging into my three-watt Little Lanilei amp (great little tube amp, by the way) whilst watching American Idol or something. I literally have not plugged into the big boys downstairs in over a year...

My practice sessions nowadays also often involve my wife telling me to "TURN THAT DOWN!"

• Members

Yeah, with my band, we're probably peaking at 130+db where I usually stand. I've been using Hearo's lately to try and preserve my hearing for my golden years.

Coupled with the above, keep the ear plugs. Better yet, get a checkup and see what state the ears are in now. You may be lucky, but not forever.

(despite the disclaimer, I used to be a noise and vibration consultant.)

• Members

Practicing at home not so loud but I don't have a db meter handy :poke:

Practicing with the band used to be louder but still not that bad..until last week when we moved into a practice facility. I put in ear plugs after about 1/2 hr and my ears were still ringing for the rest of the day

Too loud I think but that's what the band wants :idk:
I might get better earplugs

• Members

amphenge.jpg

Yeah, ours aren't' quiet er nothing... That's mostly my fault. Also, since this photo I've got another 4x12 and another Hiwatt head (a 100, natch) in there.

...And our bassist uses a tube Ampeg head and an 8x10. And our keyboard player has a couple amps and a leslie. Yeah. And the room is SO SMALL. Gahd. I would be terrified about bringing a decibel-meter in there. Just saying.

• Members

My bands always practiced at venue performance levels. We were banned from two venues in Kansas City for being too loud and unwilling to turn it down. At home, I keep it down pretty low but when I record I tend to crank the {censored} out of my amps. So, more or less, I play loud.

• Members

For band rehearsals, we play loud enough to hear ourselves over non-mic'd drums...which is pretty damn loud in a small space. We all wear hearos, even though it tends to muffle the guitar pretty badly. On stage, where I'm not right up against the crash cymbals, I usually only keep an earplug in the ear pointed at the drums so I can hear myself.

• Members

Oue band is not loud at all. The drummer uses Roland V-Drums. We can keep it at reasonable levels.

My amp sounds just as good at low volumes as it does when turned up so that helps too.

When we play shows we have a really low stage volume.

The drums, bass, and keys all run direct so they are only heard in the monitors. I run my guitar in the monitors too for the other guys and have my rig just loud enough that I get a good mix with the monitor feed. We have one monitor facing the crowd so the folks at the front of the stage can hear everything.

The sound guys love us and we can get a really good, clean mix out front.

• Members

My band was known for "pegging" decibel level meters and were known for bringing the "electric walla sound".

That being said, here at aliensporebomb studios it's only loud when something needs to be.

The first year I did ambient solo guitar concerts it was the sound of a decently loud stereo.

Last year it was louder but I had some technical problems with my looper as there was a stage light right next to it causing it to completely freak out.

That freaking out at 120 decibels was something to witness, or hear rather.

• Members

My band practice sessions are relatively loud, but nothing too extreme. We play just loud enough to mix well with the drummer and he's not crazy loud.

For my home practice sessions by myself, I have a great low volume setup to minimize my hearing loss. But, when I'm recording at home, I crank the amps up very loud until I reach the sweet spot.

• Members

{censored}in LOUD

4428177288_0bf8f52026.jpg

I resemble that remark! Hey, that jam room looks really familiar lol

And yes, those are both 100 watt Oranges.

We have a guest vocalist friend working on a song with us for a show next week, singing a duet with our lead singer, and she texted earlier and said she just got her hearing back this afternoon after rehearsal last night lol

We are super loud. Probably more so than needed. Oh well, you only hear, I mean live, once!

Archived